New 30hp 60" xr-7 deck height?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Shady Brook, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I just picked up a new 60" XR-7 and noticed the deck height was set at 3 1/4" and when I got home I measured it at 2 3/4". I went to elevate the deck so that it matched the indicator, but could not get the deck into transport mode. It appears to have the same problem as my Super Mini did. Has anyone else measured their new mower with XR-7 to see if it is matching your actual cutting height? I wonder if the new deeper deck is making it impossible for the cut heigh to match the indicator, or if enough playing around with the deck adjustment will get the job done? I tried this several times with my Super Mini only to waste a great deal of time and add to my frustration when it proved to be to no avail in the end.

I would like to hear what you fellas have discovered.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I know its been a couple days since you posted this, I have been traveling, I am sorry I couldn't get to it sooner.
    What way was your deck pin turned? that will change the height by 1/4 inch, but I am sure you know that.
    Your deck should be able to go all the way to transport, if it still isn't right let your dealer know, they can take care of it.

Pj

3. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

We also had this problem with our xr-7 60", we just figured out which hole gave us the height we desired and marked it so everyone knows where to keep it.

4. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Hey PJ

Yes, I understand the pin adjustment. I checked air pressure and all that good stuff. I adjusted the deck height so that it matched the indicator and that is when it would not go into transport mode. I dropped her back enough so that she would go into transport, and I am very near that same 1/2" off. I notice that I drag badley getting on and off the trailer with my foot on the pedal so that the deck is lifted to the stops on the frame. With my 2004 I do not drag at all. I know the longer wheelbase is causing some of this, but maybe the extra 1/2" I am not getting is making it more pronounced.

Thanks
    Jay

5. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Is the spacer for the fusion blades fitted? Are you using the fusion blades? If your using the spacer and stepped blades, you'll change the cutting height.

Im running a 04 SZ with the spacer and blades with a 1/4" step down. Obviously this has changed the cutting height by the 1/4".

6. Shady Brook

from Indiana

I am running the stock fusion blades and stock spacer. I am sure I will get used to it, just wish they could make the decks and indicators match on a $9,000 mower. Plus, I was currious if this is why it wants to belly out on my trailer where my other Super Z does not. I hate dragging going on and off.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe a ramp extension or raising your trailer hitch ball up a bit would help with the dragging. The longer wheelbase may well be making a difference.

8. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I have not doubt that the longer frame is the cause of the bottoming out. You could try lessening the angle on the ramp.

Mate, my SZ cost me $18000! What are you worried about? lol

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have to fiddle with mine.

Pin set at 3.5" and it measures 3" front, and 3.5" rear.

First of all, thats WAY too much front rake.

Second of all, I also want it to match the hole.

I think I could get it to measure right with about 20psi in all 4 tires.

I also scrape BAD when backing off the trailer. Catches the blade bolts. I was stuck pretty good the first day I mowed with it. Couldn't go forward or backwards.

I feel the decks should raise a 1/4" more, but those rear bump stops prevent that.

I'm having better luck with 11psi in the tires also. The 6 and 8psi they were at when I took delivery was a bit low.

I'm also getting a bit of black belt dust all over the white plastic deck belt tensioner/pulley area. I hope it's just the belt breaking-in.

10. jcltyson

jcltyson LawnSite Member

Just an fyi... I had similar problems until I purchased a trailer with a 2 foot dove-tail extension...no more dragging!