New 32 - Toro Or Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone out there used both a Toro 32" and an Exmark 32", both gear/belt driven and compared the 2 for cut quality, ease of use, and price?

I'm looking to pick a new one up, my dealer close by is excellent and offers both, and I just wanted some opinions before I went to him.

I don't have the money right now to go for a hydro, and I need to get through all gate as easy as possible, so a 32 is my prime choice since I'm doing many small yards. I know a 36 can get almost everywhere that a 32 can.

Can someone explain how a 36 "edge trims" better than a 32 would?

Thanks for any input.

2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "edge trims", but regardless I would go for the 36". Its just that much more surface area you are covering and its not that much more money. Take a look at your properties to, meaure the gates if you have them, and get the largest mower that is suitable for them. I, personally, would buy an Exmark. This is because I have alot of experience with them, and know that they are good reliable machines that leave a great cut. If you are going to be mulching ALOT, you may want to look into toro, as they are known to make a good mulching deck. This is NOT to say that Exmark mulches poorly. I put their mulch kit onto my 52" Lazer in the fall and it really does a great job with the leaves. Good luck with your decision.-Esby

3. ceaman

ceaman LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I believe that the "edge trim" you are refering to is because the deck hangs out past the wheels farther so you are able to manuver cloter to objects with the deckand still clear the wheels.

I just purchaced a 36" Exmark belt drive for this year and have mowed 27 hours in 1.5 weeks with the unit and have found no where I couldnt use the mower. I think that it is one of the smartest purchaces I have made. It goes thru any gate I have seen andthe cut is beautifull. My only complaint is I wish I had a floating deck (for the ease of changing deck height).

4. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i'm going through the same decision you are and for many of the reasons you listed for getting a 32"... i don't know what your properties look like, but i thought all my gates were 34" and was going to get a 32" mower... i started measuring and found that i can get a 36" into about 90% of my gates and only 1 gate would let a 32" but not a 36" so from my point of view go with a 36" ... personally i'm going to hold out for hydro because i only want to make one purchase and i want to do it right the first time...

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

remember when u measure the gates, 36" is the size of the cut, the deck makes the machine wider than 36 .

6. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Toro 32" here;)

7. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

I believe it may edge trim better cause the fact that deck sticks out more away from the wheels and is able to trim and squeeze, atleast f or me
    AK Lawn

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

32, 32, 32, 32, 32, 32, 32, 32, 32, 32

9. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Bobby,
    Got the message, I got a dealer holding a 32 for me to pickup. Now check my other thread about pricing.. Thanks!!!