New 36"? Or new 48"? What would you decide?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eZ1, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Burkhart Lawn Care

Burkhart Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I had a 36" wb and replaced it with a 42 rider for not much more or the same. Much happier with the little z as I call it, but still to small to cut much grass. 42 still fits every walkthrough gate I have come across.

2. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

get a 36, a 48, and a 52 inch stand-on
    then a 36, 48, 52 inch walkbehind.
    then everyone here will be proud of the fact that they led you in the right direction.

3. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Except what's his name that tells people to put a 72" z in a 36" space.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. eZ1

eZ1 LawnSite Member

The yards I cut are smaller yards with not too many gates. The rider I have is a 48" so I think I am going to go with a good and reliable 36" and then maybe get a cheaper 48" or larger. hi_speedreed, can I use a sulky with a belt driven walk behind? I was told that it is too much stress on the mower. Thanks for your opinions everyone.

5. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Yes you can. I'm over 200lbs. I had them on 36&48 metros. No problems. The 36's were 10 years old. Original transmissions.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. eZ1

eZ1 LawnSite Member

Wow, good to know. Thanks alot Jimslawncareservice.

7. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone should have a business plan. And you should have the right size equipment to carry out that plan. I will not take a yard that requires more than 5 min. with a 21''. If a 48'' or bigger won't fit I pass.

8. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I would get a 36" for the gates and areas where the 48" will not fit.

How are you going to pay for these mowers, cash, loan?

Being you already have a 48", and have to pay off two new mowers with a loan there is no point to take on a second payment at this point buying a 48" when you already have one.

Being you have only a few property's with gates it would seem to be better to wait till the 36" is paid off then get a 52" - 60" mower.

You then will increase your productivity.

You can do the smaller property's with the 36 and 48 mon & tue, larger prop's wed & thur with the 36, 52 - 60.

Then your 48 which is older will last longer because is will not be used as much.

9. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

I used a 36" ExMark Metro for a number of years with a sulky because I had some yards with 36" gates. Now I have a 42" Big Dog z-turn that takes care of most everything, but still keep an ExMark Phazer 36" rider for smaller properties. It's a back up.

10. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

You should buy the 36" brand new and not even worry about a 48 wb because you already have 48 ztr. I have a 36 wb and a 60 ztr, I will be adding a 48/52 wb within the next week and possibly a 72 ztr before the season starts as well.

-Michael