New 52"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Jun 20, 2004.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Im buying a new 52" exmark or Ferris. Im definitly going hydro. The only thing I'm not sure about is fixed or floating. I have a floating 36" and compared to a fixed 36" my mower cuts worse then a fixed. So, im thinkin of just getting a fixed 52 but Im worried about how it would cut on hills if it would scalp when turning. It will probbly have the ECS handle bars so I would think It would be harder to just push down on the handle bars. Does anyone have any opinions of the cut quality of fixed vs floating and any problems when mowing hills expecially when turning.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Float is the only way I would go. On a 52" the scalping can be a problem and it is harder to adj. the deck. If your 36' float does not cut right something is wrong with the way it is set up or your blades as the as the abillty to flex with the ground does not affect how well it cuts, only scalping at the edges or on high center of hills. My 36" is fixed and it is OK but my 48" and larger are float and always will be. Just my opinion.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

scalping is an operator error.

I believe a floating deck helps reduce operator errors.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have 2 fixed 52 inch Ferris WB's. None of my guys have any problem with scalping. Plus you can adjust the front of the deck with the 3, 1/2" spacers on the deck casters.
  5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

hey geo, how can operator like myself help prevent scalping, i only scalp a little bit on some raised up lawns and it usually is only one blade that scalps. so what measures can i take to help prevent this?
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

mark--glad you asked. I have to strive to be more careful with my fixed 48" deck.

it is real easy to have the outer edge of the deck dig into uneven ground around ditches and dips in the lawn.

lots of time I will have to lean on the handles, skip a small place and come back with the ole homelite and trim the spot.

in other cases I may make two passes in a dip or depression kinda splitting it in half instead of making one pass and scalping.

good luck.

GEO :)
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Excellent advice Geo, that's why I try and walk a complete property before my first cut on a new acct. 1 you get a feel for the terrain, 2 Hopefully you find any surprises before they destoy your Equipment!
  8. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Always good. Sounds like most of you beleive in the floating with a 52". I guess I'll shell out an extra 700 or bucks for it.
  9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Not only does a floater help prevent scalping to some extent, it is much easier to change cut height. I sure as heck don't want to mess around with them spacers, I just like to pull pins :D
  10. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

on a fixed deck the front may be higher but the back is on the same height so you are not really switching heights. THe floater gives an evener cut compared with the fixed and its much easier to switch heights.