New 57hp Toro 52"-72" Cut 18mph

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by afftandem, Nov 2, 2007.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

Not really.... just complaining about wrights new stander zk with the over 30hp engine... absolutely worthless horsepower... the speed on the sentar is comparable.. and you wont be able to tell the difference in cuts... the only thing this engine will do is burn more gas (in a time when we're suppose to be growing more efficient), plus the added cost of the mower, and it'll apply more weight to the machine to imprint your lawn. At least the sentar will give you the option to sit.

I think dixie chopper has a 50+ hp mower.. goes around 15mph.. useless...

Wrights smallest stander (32") comes in a 15 and 17hp options... no need even for the extra 2hp unless you enjoy spending more gas and paying about $700+ more.... have the 15hp plenty of power .. .even on hills
  2. afftandem

ive had my 25hp sentar and my 15hp stander in some thick thick brush.. wouldnt had made any difference if they were over 30hp.. the same cut wouldve came out..... ive taken a 19hp (noncommercial) craftsman and been completely boged down and then in turn go with my 15hp stander and cut right through.. commercial engines are stronger, but 30+ on a 52 or 61 will be the same as a 25hp...

Our lawns are kept up... only on new accounts are they overgrown... but nuthing to warrant more hp off a commercial mower... anything that thick would require a brush hog, billygoat, which btw have far less hp...
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The horsepower on the Stander ZK is "optional"....

I think it's good to see them offer something greater than a 25hp Kawasaki.

You also need to understand that many who buy stander-type machines do so because all they mow are very tightly landscaped sites, and have the machines set up as dedicated mulchers to avoid the mess and cleanup time. Extra power is nice for these cases.

In addition, this new Stander ZK is also available with a 72" deck.
    I don't think a 37hp Kawi is over doing it for that application.
    Sounds about right to me since all they use are air cooled kawi's... leaving the next option down a 25hp Kawi.
    I wouldn't want that dog.
  4. afftandem

Ive used mine for mulching.... 37hp wont add to it.. 25 will not bog down.. under no condition (unless ur trying to mow mud) would anything over 25 be necessary....

unless you mow your lawns once a month would this matter... (even then 25's would accomplish the same)

wrights a company.. and if they know theres a market for this then theyll sell it. (need it or not)... and there is a market of dummys that will buy it....

we too are running companys... and our operating costs should be kept low.

the only thing u'll get out of these excessively higher hp engines is higher operating costs.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, you might be able to say that while crawling around on a little 52" side discharging... but when you are hauling it for big production at higher speeds, with bigger decks AND a mulch kit.... Well I will tell you right now I like the 25hp Kawasaki. It's ample most of the time side discharging... but it is not hard at all to make it labor and slow it enough to make you slow down... and suck 1.5+ gallons of gas an hour.

So what is the point.

In the grand scheme of things, it's NOT so much about operating costs.
    What's more important in the end is cost effectiveness.

Bottom line is this...
    Even if the 37hp Kawi burns 2 gallons an hour... I'll tell you right now... a 37hp 72" running up to 15 mph is absolutely going to "walk your dog" on a 25hp 52" IN AN HOUR.

For an extra $3 gallon of gas, it will produce more than 2 1/2 times the acreage your 25/52 can in a single hour.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Good lord, I was fixing to really lay on about this stupid horsepower craze. :laugh:
    Then again had you said 500hp 200mph it might not have worked.

But I do agree, on a 60" or so hydraulic machine it's more than just grass and blades to deal with. My 25hp does choke when I'm at a standstill and push the sticks forward hard, she don't do 0-14 in no 2 seconds, less so with tall grass and on a hill.

So there is something to having enough hp, but the 25hp consumes at least twice the fuel of my 15hp Wb, at over twice the cost / hour vs. only about a 25% increase in production on BIG lots one has to question the cost / income equation sometime, to me it's not worth using the Z on lots under an acre for that very reason. Now if you have enough acre+ lots then it could well be worth it, but what I don't see is all these Lco's cutting the usual 1/4 acres with 6-8g Ztr's surviving for long.

Some might make it, but my 300 pound $3,400 dollar 48" Toro Wb will whoop out that 1/4 acre in the same if not less time, even the truck is easier to drive and costs less to operate with that 700 pound difference on the trailer.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You speak like someone who has never been out of Dayton. Not all grass is tall fescue. There are some mean, ugly and difficult to cut grasses out here that grow a foot a week. For example take Bahia. I don't think you could mulch it with 37 HP.

These big engines are optional and there are applications where the power is needed. The whole world isn't just like Dayton.
  8. Lordtimothy

Lordtimothy LawnSite Member

Some of these higher horsepower engines are flat out using less fuel. Was a thread about it recently, wasn't able to find it. If I recall correctly some of the 27 plus hp engines were getting as good if not better than the 23-25hp engines. My experence has been about the same.

9. Lordtimothy

Lordtimothy LawnSite Member

10. suzuki4life

suzuki4life LawnSite Member

i know exmark is running 27 horse fuel injected, the FI will cut fuel consumption greatly. These commercial engines are horribly inefficient i think we all need to be moving toward diesels, even if they are more expensive. Mowing is all about torque, and thats what diesel is good at.