New 72" 37 HP Cub Tank

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, May 2, 2007.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I went to my dealers today and took a test run on the new M-72 37 hp Kawasaki Cub Tank. This is a 12 mph mower but at around 8 mph I could hardly stand the ride, I picked the deck up and it was still riding rougher than any mower I have ever operated. I got straight off the Tank and got on a new 15 mph Bobcat Predator Pro and the ride was much, much, much better, not even comparable. I did not like the feel of the controls on the Tank at all and the Bobcat was smooth as silk and so much easier to operate. If I even attempted to run the Tank the way I do my Hustler in a short period of time I would be looking for a spine surgeon.

This is my formed opinion from what I experienced, does anyone have any idea what could make a mower ride this rough?

The 37 Kawi is a very strong engine which I liked a lot.
  2. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same experience after demoing the Lesco Z2.
  3. puppypaws

I was told the Bobcat Predator Pro was a 15 mph mower but the specifications state the 33 hp Generac engine is a 12.5 mph mower, just another example of someone that is suppose to know the answers to these questions but does not.
  4. CRF500

CRF500 LawnSite Member

Look you guy's are mistaken the Z2 and Cub tank are comparable with cost no object mowers, I am tired of all this Cub bashing on this site. There are many very happy operators with the tank product, and they do have a great cut because anything can cut good at 5 MPH.

OK now if any of you tank owners are thinking of getting rid of your ZTR's because of the false slander being spread on this site just contact me and I will be willing to pay 30 cent's on the $ for units with less than 200 hours! At least most of the tank is made in the :usflag:
  5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

:usflag: I demoed the Predator at it seem to run around 11 or 12mph, the ride was fairly smooth, was a nice machine. Im still a Scag and Emark-Toro user, hard to change after 21yrs on em....Marks Mowing Service

Family 176.jpg
  6. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

How is it possible for any zero turn mower , to ride rougher than the rest. My tank rides just fine when the air pressure in the tires is at 10psi. This is the only way to adjust the ride , other than a suspended seat. To my knowledge Ferris is the only ztr out there with coil over shocks. When are you people going to get it through your grass stained heads, steel on steel mounted to tire. If a peticular machine is riding rough its because the dealer has failed to set it up properly, his loss Im sure, but we are all smarter than the dealer. Every time I take my machine in for maint. it comes back with 25psi or so. It doesnt matter how many times i tell them Its the same thing over and over!!!!
  7. puppypaws

I run 8 lbs. in my Super Z and maybe the Tank had to much air, which I feel assured it probably did. I got directly off the Tank and got on a Bobcat Predator Pro which I had never been on either one, and went over the exact areas to compare the difference. This is as unbiased opinion because I had never sat on either mower in my life much less operate them. The Tank was unbearable at 3/4 of it's top speed while the Bobcat rode extremely well at it's top speed of 12.5 mph. I know what 2 lbs. of air pressure difference feels like on my Super Z and this was not completely an air pressure problem because more than likely
    the Bobcat had to much air also.

I don't care about either mower, I am only stating what I felt and observed.
    The hydraulic controls and handling of the Bobcat was also much, much smoother.
  8. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

Ill tell ya I cant stand to be on my tank if the air is over 10psi. I tend to hover around the 8psi mark also like you said. When its right its hells bells till quitin time.
    Only other thing could be weight. If that bobcat is heavier it might take up the shock better at higher tire presure.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know... I've driven a lot of rigid frame Z's.

All of them ride rough by design.
    Some are a bit worse than others though.

Usually the factors are wheelbase, tire size, weight, and in the case of the Lazer HP... caster fork offset.

Otherwise they ride equally rough.

Myself, I don't find the Ztwo to be bad.
    Rides better than any of my current or previous ZTR's, even with the axle locked.

My guess is also 25-30 PSI in all 4's.
    You are also spoiled to a suspension seat, flex forks, etc...

I run 10 PSI or less and do fine.

I do keep thinking about adding the suspension seating.
    I'm for it in a way for the comfort....
    But at the same time I'm against it.

More comfort for me might equal terrible abuse for the equipment.
    The ride is all I have to slow me down in harsh terrain.

In my opinion, they make all ZTR's capable of running WAY FASTER than it is possible to run them on a lot of terrain.
  10. puppypaws

I am not talking about what I ride I am talking about the Cub Tank and the Bobcat Predator Pro. The 60" Bobcat I owned rode rough but this new Predator Pro rode totally different than the older Bobcat.

There is a tremendous difference in ride on a mower where you have open space and can turn it lose versus being in mountainous or congested areas where you can hardly ever run over 5 to 7 mph. This is when you can tell about ride and weight disbursement. I would say if you cut what I do wide open on a Ztwo it would beat your eye teeth out, that is if indeed it does ride like the Cub Tank I demoed. This Tank I would say did not lack weight with the 72" deck and 37 Kawi it could be the way it is distributed, you tell me what can make as much difference as I found besides air pressure. I would rest assured that both mowers probably had high tire pressure but they also had the high dollar suspension seats.