New 997 Deere

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by start2finish, Mar 23, 2008.

1. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

been a while since I posted, but wanted to give to 997 a compliment. good mower, clean cut, good clipping dispersion and decent ride for a z turn.
  2. start2finish

I am still getting used to the weight of the machine, it is kind of like driving a honda accord around town and jumping in a 1 ton "empty" truck and trying to drive it like a little car for me now. I was used to the agility of a much smaller zero. (Turf Tiger 61'' SCAG)

But having said that power wise it is awesome, rides a little better than the smaller ones.

Deck has tremendous amount of suction, I have a lesser maintained area that we shoot skeet out of and I have always kept it mowed weekly but the missed shot gun shells (empty) were always just mowed right over. Never hit them I mow at 3.75'' That is with my SCAG. The deere sucks every single one up. I had to stop and remove them after two passes.

The deck also throws grass 15+ feet even in thin grass. I can't wait to get some lush thick grass to cut.

One problem so far. The front tires are presenting a problem. I turned up swell that I always have mowed. I guess I need to define swell. It is a gentle ditch that is graded to allow mowing easily. There is some transition here, but never presented itself a problem. Maybe Kubota was on to something with the swiveling front axle. Any way the front tire popped off the rim, rather I knocked it off. It was easily reinflated. No solution other than I need to watch transitions and how I approach them.

But I am pleased with the mower. My dealer told me that it would take some time to get used to the bigger more POWERFUL!!! machine.
  3. BCNU

BCNU LawnSite Member

I am looking at purchasing a 997 next month. I was quoted $13200. with 72 inch deck. How is your fuel consumption? How much are you burning an hour?
  4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I was all set to buy a 997 but ended up with the new 850a with the 31hp gas. I like the 997 but the cost of diesel fuel is a deterent now.:dizzy:
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

The old Kubotas, without the zero flat front tires would do the same thing, even with the swivel axle.

If it gets to be a big problem for you, just invest in a couple of zero flats.

Also, make sure you keep those front tires pumped up as much as possible. Seemed like when the pressure would get a little low on the Kubota, that's when it was most likely to pop the bead on those front tires.
  6. start2finish

diesel is a bit more efficient, but that is a savings that would need to be realized over the entire useful life of the machine.

I have owned a couple of diesel pickups and this has made me a diesel fan. I know the fuel is higher but after 8- 10 years the diesel returns the investment if you took care of it. I would guess this to be a opinion thing as well.
  7. start2finish

Thanks for the tips on the front tires