New account but concerned.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rhinox29, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Rhinox29

Rhinox29 LawnSite Member

Today while I was servicing one of my accounts. I was approached by a neighbor who wanted to know how much I charge. I said it depends on the size of the lawn. So we walked two houses down and I checked it out. Not much to it. But then he surprised the heck out of me. He only wanted the front lawn done and I was not to worry about the back for any reason. I told him for the 8 min. time to do the front and since I am already there I would do it for $15.00 he comes back with how about $20.00 a cut for the front since this is what his last guy was charging. I said OK. Next he goes and gets me a check for a hundred bucks and tells me to let him know when it runs out. Now what concerns me is this guy was way to nice. Plus his backyard has a privacy fence and does not want me to service this area for any reason. The area he is in is an older part of town which has a reputation for having drug dealers. I am thinking he might be growing or making something out of a lab back there that he does not want anyone to know about. This is a first to me. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid.

2. thefed

thefed LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

mow his grass, and make sure your guys dont steal HIS grass....everyone will be happy

3. spazfam

spazfam LawnSite Member

Well first cash the check and make sure its good! If so I wouldn't worry about it most of these types would pay you in cash as to not have anyway to trace them etc.

4. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

drug dealers dont typically use a checkbook, especially for the lawn boy.ahahahahah. 15.00??????? dont you have a minumum charge 2 minutes or 30 minutes you have to pay for all that pretty equipment, ins and other crapdont ya?

5. Mowman16

Mowman16 LawnSite Senior Member

I once had a customer who's daughter was growing marijuana behind the garage, when I saw it, I asked the lady of the house to come see "if the lawn looked good" she came and said "yes, it looks very good....WHAT THE !@#$?" needless to say she was upset with her daughter. Other than that I never had a problem with that customer.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yea I found some today... went and did a bid on an apparement complex....

what was concerning was. that this is a retirement center !!!! hummmm

7. THRIFTY

THRIFTY LawnSite Member
    from (913)

I wouldnt worry about it, just make sure the check doesn't bounce! If it goes through, it sounds like you got a nice new account...Congrats!

8. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Maybe he has 100% landscaped backyard with armor rock or slabs or whatever. Maybe the grass doesnt grow. Who cares? You are getting paid to cut the front lawn. You aren't getting paid to know why you aren't doing the back. Where is it written that you have to cut the back and the front. Could have a pool taking up 98% of his backyard (hence the privacy fence). People are waaaaaaaaaaayyy to nosy.

9. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i have an 8 min lawn and i do break my $35/min for, i get $30 for my 8 mins. $15??? mow it and dont worry about the back but offer if he ever needs it you'd be happy to help. dont ask him how much a pound costs

10. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

If the check is good then Id do the work and wouldn't worry what the customer is doing in the back yard...