New account.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spcfoor, Jul 14, 2004.

1. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I just got this new commerical account. It is a local rehab hospital. My wife works there and told me the old guy that used to mow took only three hours to do. He had three men and I have three men. However it takes me almost 4 1/2 hrs to do. It is a pretty large property. Any ideas on how I can cut down on my time? I have a Gravely 36" wb with sulky , a 21" ariens wb, a stihl fs85 edger, and a cub cadet commerical trimmer. Thanks for your help. I really am happy I found this site. It has been very informative.

2. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

You answered your own question? you only have a 36" walk behind as your big mower?

3. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

What wsa the old guy using? with three people you should have three mowers, at least two of them bigg ones. Maybe ad a 48" or" 52 wb or a rider. Maybe the other guy wasn't trimming as throughly as you, but he probably had all three guys mowing after the trimming was done.

4. spcfoor

Thanks chevyman1. I cant afford a bigger one yet so I will just have to deal with it I guess. This is my first commerical prop. Hopefully can get a ztr next year. Thanks again.

5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

If there was a rider involved, that could be it. More likely you are taking better care of the property...maybe doing something the other guy wasn't. Are you edging everything? That might be it. Also, it always takes more time when I do an account for the first time. Maybe give it a couple of more shots and see if the time comes down.

6. spcfoor

I have one guy mow w/ the 36" and one guy mow the little areas with the 21". I do all the trimming and edging. I would like to get in down to around 3 1/2 hrs. I am going ot add a rider next year just cant afford it right now. I am a part timer tying to go full time.

7. shiznitttt

shiznitttt LawnSite Member

Give me a shout if you need a little help, I have a large ZTR, and I am looking for a little extra work.

8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Let's hope this is the first time your wife fibbed to you!

9. spcfoor

Tharrell my wife does not lie! I dont appreciate the comment.

10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I think what Tharrell is trying to say is that its probably unwise to base your estimate on second-hand information regarding the amount of time it takes to do a job.