1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new accounting software

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by studentlawn, Dec 10, 2003.

1. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

Ok, so ive given up on Nova Invoices and Estimates. I thought id gotten a great deal untill I reformated my computer and now it's totally bombed along with the backup, deleating all my financial records. So it's time for a new accounting software. Ive been searching around and I think quickbooks is the way to go. I was looking at Quickbooks 2004 premier contractors edition and it just looked struck me, I wanted to buy it so bad. But its close to $500 bucks, and I can't really justify buying a program not sure ill be satisfied with. So my question is this. What about older versions of quickbooks. I can get quickbooks pro 2001 for under $100. Is this a much better value then going with the new stuff? do anyone know if significant changes have been made? Im just trying to decide weather to buy an older or new version.
  2. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

Just buy QB 2004 Pro. It's alot cheaper than Premier. Then upgrade every few years.
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I recently bought QB Pro 2003 off ebay for $148
  4. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

For general accounting use, you don't really need QB Pro, the basic version will work fine.

And, it is a lot cheaper.

And yes, they upgrade every year, but you don't necessarily have to upgrade every time a new version comes out.

The older versions will work fine, however, after a while, they will quit providing support for the newer versions.

Check the Quickbooks website www.quickbooks.com for details on various version features and which ones they still support.

Remember, some of the advanced features are worthless unless it is something you are going to use.
  5. lawnGUYnMD

lawnGUYnMD LawnSite Member

If you looking to spend that much money on quick books why not consider Gopher?
  6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Studentlawn,

We welcome you to download our software.

LawnGUYnMD thanks for the referral!
  7. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes try gopher.

One thing tough, he needs a financial software and gopher fall short in this field.
    You can get QB and gopher if you can afford it and have the programs interact with each other.
  8. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

I'm running QB 2001 Pro and it does everything that my accountant needs. In fact I asked him about upgrading and he said I didn't need to. He is a QB avdisor so it's real easy for me to just backup my books and take the disks to him and he restores the whole mess on his computer. After he maks any necessary journal entries I just restore the modified backup on my machine and I'm "good to go". He's pretty good and it only takes about 2 hours to go through my books and do both my corporate and personal tax returns.

If I had to change accountants for any reason I'd try to find another that is a QB advisor just to keep the professional fees down.
  9. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I am about to buy QB 2004 Basic to do the same thing......

10. Haley Lawn Care

Haley Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NC

Get the pro version and buy q-clip to go with it. You will be glad you did. You can do estimates in pro and then turn them into invoices. Also you can turn only part of an estimate into an invoice. Which ever you get regular or pro version you only need to upgrade every 3 or 4 years.

David :)