new accounts coming in?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, May 18, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone else picking up alot of accounts the last week or so? I keep getting the people who thought they could do it themselves, but it's been growing too fast. :) payup Also, a few other companies I'm tight with, gave me a list of houses they can no longer do, or don't want to do. Picked up 14 this week alone.
    just wondering........... why didn't these guys want these anymore...............maybe PITA houses.

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Hey Adam maybe you can give me some advice. I have a person next to one of my current ones and they want a quote on everything but, i caught a red flag when i got "Well if the price is fair we'll go with it". So what should i do? Should i work up and estimate and quote everything so high that they say no thanks or what? I'm confused as you can tell.

And congrats on the new work hope everything works out for ya.

3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Rob,
    Do they have a guy now? Or doing it themselves? Sometimes people just don't understand how the process works. I get new customers every year who have never had lawn care done, and are pretty clueless (not thier fault) on the pricing, and even the way to approach you about pricing. Sometimes they expect you try and rip them off, so they have to say things like that. Give him your price, he takes it or leaves it. I've gotten those feelings where I think i should run.......those old Italian guys who think they no everything................... some turned into my favorite accounts. You can always drop them if it doesn't work out, or give the account to a buddy. If you want to price alittle higher so you're more tolerant of "minor irritations", that's understandable.

I've learned to red flag the customers who claim money is no object............. they usaully have no intention of paying you!!

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I am turning down more than I am taking. It is nice to be able to pick and choose the work.

5. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the advice. It's a new family i guess in this house it was a rental but i don't know what happend with that. The woman i talked with said she was going to fire the other guy because he left clumps and did'nt bother to trim under a pine tree.The woman had told me that she had just gone over it and i could tell right away that she did it looked like it was cut at an inch or lower.

I think i'm just going to shoot them an estimate on the lawn for now and see what kind of "sticker shock" i get. The way i figure this lawn and it's huge if i get my digi working i'll take some pics i'm thinkig of starting it the mid $80 range or higher. And to get back on topic i've picked up 4 so far plus all my customers from seasons past returned minus to late payers.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have been turning down accounts and actually giving accounts away to another LCO

7. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

were taking on new accounts and also put on another employee,hard to turn down more money...