1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New accounts during the season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Birddog Lawncare, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Birddog Lawncare

Birddog Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Does anyone ever pick up new accounts like midway through the season?
  2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

It's not just new accounts at the begining of the year, calls come in each week, and each call is a potential customer!
  3. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

During the season we seem to pick up more than we do at the beginning. I hope that holds true this year, because we've picked up a significant amount this spring already.

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

oh yeah...neighbors, regerals from other customer, clients who have had their other lawn service run them around or not show up..people that have to unexpectantly go out of town...without fail usually.
  5. No Lawncares

No Lawncares LawnSite Member

I picked up three accounts today and wasn't even trying. Two were from referals and one was from a lady I had talked too 2 months ago but she thought my prices were to high for spring cleanup. Well her grandkids just couldnt get the job done right and now I also picked up a weekly mow contract.
  6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I have been picking up new customers weekly and see no end in sight...
  7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yes, you can pick up an account at any given time for many different reasons. Customer is unhappy with current service provider, the man of the house may have gotten sick and can't maintain the property anymore, customer is going away for an extended period of time, the reasons can be endless....
  8. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

seems like around here everyone likes to mow when its 70 degrees, but when it gets to 98 with 80%humidity i start to get calls like crazy
  9. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

If I see a house in a neighborhood I'm mowing in, and they have their lawn mowed by another company that I think looks like a poor job, I knock on the door, try to educate the customer about what they 'should be paying for' and how I would do it correctly, and just leave a quote if they choose to switch to me now or ever in the future and what they could expect to improve. Education is the key. I told one guy "hey, do you notice how the top of your lawn is browner than the one across the street that I mow? next week, ask the guy who mows for you how often he sharpens his blades and what level he cuts at. He should be cutting 2 1/2 to 3 inches, it looks a little low and a little bashed my dull blades"...went back this week, second mowing across the street, guy said he talked to his lawn guy about it, who got all mad why this guy was drilling him for details, and what do you know....another account for me. See, I sold VALUE and EDUCATION to this account. I'm getting $30 for this 1/3 acre lot just like the other guy did. No undercutting, no 'scrub' esque manuevers. Was simply honest and helpful. This is the 3 account I've taken away this year like this. All 3 look much better than the idiots that were doing them.