1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Accounts ...how

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CLC, Jun 7, 2001.

1. CLC

CLC LawnSite Member

How do I find account that havent bee taking I need more account how do I more?
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

How I got a lot of my lawns the first season was from several homeowners that owned Sears mowers that broke down. I had passed out flyers and this is how they knew of me. I would think that if you went to a mower repair shop that handles mainly homeowner mowers and asked if you can put up a flyer advertising you mow lawns, this might get some lawns for you. As far as I know this hasn't been posted before and I've never tried it, but I do know that repair shops get at least 2 to 4 weeks behind, so you could pick up a few this way. If you do a good job, they might just decide to keep you on since the hottest part of the summer is about to approach us soon. It is sort of late for flyers, but you might still pick up some that way too.
  3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

You could try fliers...

But, if you make one up... You may want to have someone PROOF read it! :) :)
  4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have actually gotten quite a few calls from homeowners whos mowers were being repaired or to expensive to fix from my dealer. Im sure a flyer on the wall would work great.

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

It is the funniest thing. There are people out there
    who want someone like you right now. I meet them all
    the time,they ask, "can you mow my lawn" Well, I'm
    booked up, but there are about a dozen guys in the
    paper who advertise! Their lawn is 8" tall and they
    overlook all the ads we pay lots of money for.
    What's up with that?
  6. jones

jones Banned
    from Ontario

Would a repair shop that handles homeowner's mowers allow someone to put up a flyer advertising lawn care services? Wouldn't that be like biting the hand that feeds you?
    I ask this in a non insulting way. Only curious as to your reply. It may work.
  7. Lawn Wizard

Lawn Wizard LawnSite Member

I got a customer the same way Eric! Sears craftsman broke down twice and was tired of dealing with it! Thanks Sears!
  8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

A couple of months ago I was out mowing and a lady pulled over and flagged me down. She asked if I would cut her lawn and I said I would check it out when I finished that afternoon and got her address. I got there and saw a Murray 42" tractor with the right front axle broken completely off and figured this was a "one time deal" (which I normally do not consider). I asked her how regularly she wanted her lawn mowed and she replied: "Just one time...I'm getting my mower fixed next week".

Well it was an 1.5 acre lot but not yet too high and perfect for zipping my 60" Lazer across so I said "OK, no problem...I'll do it for $50".

Anyway, after mowing, trimming, edging, and blowing I knocked on the door to collect and she came out into the yard and commented on how nice it looked....and wanted to know if I could put her into my regular schedule! I said "I thought you were going to fix your old mower?" and she replied: "Not now". :D

Seems when she figured the moolah factor on repairs or buying a new mower coupled with the time she spent getting calluses on her butt she saw the value in hiring an LCO.

Anyone want to buy a worn-out old Murray tractor with 3 wheels? ;)
  9. i get thousands of dollars in refferals each year from my dealer. mostly tree work, however there have been cleanups, and at least 10 lawns in the past year. however it is not as simple as just putting a flier up in there. if you do that either they will take it down, or another lco will. the way i do it is i have a very good relationship with the family that owns the place. so whenever somebody needs something done they just give out my card which they keep handy somewhere not readily visable. i have even gotten a call or two before from other LCO's that either dont climb or need something else done. one time was gettin a cat out of a tree. lol. but yeah, if you are gonna do something like that it will take time. i have known these guys now for i think 5 years or so, and have been workin for them directly for the past almost 2 years, and indirrectly for the past 4 years i think. sorry to drag this out. talk to some other people you may know though. gas stations, they have gotten me work, deli's get plenty of work somehow. and people who deal with a lot of other people. however make sure you know these people for a while or else your card just goes right in the garbage i bet.