New accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RLC, Apr 28, 2001.

1. RLC

RLC LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

How do you guys get your new accounts with out stepping on the other guys toes. I want to get some commerical accounts but I don't know how to go about it. I have advertised in the paper and put up some adds around town but nothing yet . I don't want to go out and under cut other companys but is this what I need to do or is there a better way ( I'm sure there is ). I want to do this full time but with all the layoffs this year in my area there has been alot of new cutters come into the field this year.Let me know what you guys think I should do. Thanks Ed
  2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't step on NO ones shoes to get accounts .....I bid my jobs to a rate for which I can make a living the bills ...and put some away for new or better equip ..$$ for living

If you just want to make a quick buck ....this AIN'T IT have to pay your dues ....make some mistakes ..cut lot of grass ......even get a lucky break ...and keep your work up to a standard you can live with n' be proud of ...the work will then come to you ...those big guys you may be looking at have YEARS of experience & working in the field

There are plenty of guys out there that will ..."oh your paying $45 a cut .....I'll do it for $30" ....they get the job ....they cut corners ....they have TONS of excuses for why they missed last week or why the hedges look like $#@% ...or they say "oh NO that wasn't us that broke that" ....What Ever ...

Your have to SELL Yourself ...look at potential jobs ...if they look poor ....check to see if they are taking bids ..what ever you do just don't step on YOUR OWN shoes ...good luck ;->
  3. RLC

RLC LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I have paid my dues I have been in this business for 6yrs. now . I was just asking how you guys get your accounts . I didn't say anyone was stepping on any body shoes . I not in this to make a quick buck. I'm in it because I love to mow grass and would like to quit my job of 22yrs and mow full time . Sorry if I stepped on your toes . ED
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have two methods for getting new commercial accounts. The first method I use is to look at commercial properties as I drive by and see who is doing the lawn maint. If it is someone local ,I leave it alone. If it is someone from out of town, then it is fair game in my book, especially if it looks rather bad. I then approach the owner/manager and play up the use of locally owned LCO and how we might improve the appearance of their property without actually saying it looks bad. Method two involves new businesses under construction. When I see ground beeing broken for a new business I find out what it is going to be. If it looks like the type of property I like to bid, I approach whoever is in charge of construction and find out who to contact about bidding the lawn maint. I then contact this person on a regular basis until they are ready to bid the work. Sometimes I will give them a price and get the work with no competitive bidding. This method requires persistence without being a pest.
  5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

no's not meant that way ed ....with 6 years... you know how tight a market this really is also must know that many come & go each year ...with your time you obviously have what it take to survive ....the commercial is such a "who you know" deal in the long run ...but up front it's gonna take some upfront door knocking calling & letter dropping to the property manager's ....owner's

....but really that ONE lucky break can do it ....and when she comes you have to shine ....use it as reference ...
    but as it goes to bid on a job's always going to be best ... to bid your price may not be best to know how much they are paying right now ... question to them is always "are you happy with your present service & than what type of changes would make your live easier" ...if some guy get say $450 per cut on a condo or hotel & your know you can do it for say $375 and still make money ....than stomp on their shoes ....

getting the opportunity to talk is the the trick ....but that persistent push on your part is surely going to get you some leads

6. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

We call the companys and ask if they would like a bid. Most say no. but some do. I guess its different here All my commercial accts didn't even get any other bids. I dont do any condos I know they bid every year. Just small to medium size business. When I brought them a bid in Jan. They signed right there. We have alot of marginal to poor LC in my area. Only a few really set them selfs apart. The business owners are starting to realize that and are willing to pay a little more for a nice looking lawn.
  7. RLC

RLC LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Thanks Steve I know what you ment now and understand . Thank you very much. I have read some other post in here about which to go with commerical or res. and it has explained alot . Thanks everyone you've helped me . Do you think that I should contact other mowing companys to see if they have over flow to sub out of to give away. I talked to another cutter getting out of the business last year and he told me that a company gave him 2 commerical lawns to do. But I think he quit because he didn't manage the business right and couldn't make it .Let me know what you guys think . Thanks Ed
  8. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

If another LCO is willing to give up commercial property just out of the generosity of their heart, something is probably wrong with it. If bid right, there is plenty of money to be made off commercial property.
  9. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

another way is to contact property management services..they have lots of commercial this year I approached had 35 buildings for me to bid on... I got 6 of them...not bad...once you build up a relationship with them the opportunity is endless...lots of extras etc...Another one I approached had 6 for me to bid...getting 4 I was more than happy...anyone else deal with property management companys?
  10. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

im still in college, so im not doing commercial properties, but to get new accounts i just pass out flyers. i usually look for houses where another LCO has done a real bad job. i also target houses in nicer neighborhoods where the homeowner mows by looking at the stripe size.