New Accounts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tknowles, Mar 31, 2006.

1. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I would put them on doors if I was you...ALOT of them!Then after that word of mouth will start helping alittle to!
  2. grassmasterdawn

grassmasterdawn LawnSite Member

So is it too much to expect to be able to cover your expenses the first year in business?
  3. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Thought about buying a business with established customers? Any customers I do get I give them 75 bucks for a referal that translates into a regular mowing cust.
  4. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Doorhangers are the best bet I have gotten 9 new customers this week from handing out 500 on thursday! Try and get doorhangers that have a detachable card on the bottom with your name, slogan, phone number.
  5. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh yeah if you have a trailer make sure you but on the doorhangers leaf and debri removal extra or something like that because you will get alot of customers wanting removal of leaves sticks and other small things. Yeah they are usaully a one time customer but hey its money,and while your cleaning up there mess neighbors will come over or ask them about you after you leave. So you might get their neighbors lawn win/win situation money in your pocket and if there to cheap to want to pay for lawncare you dont want the headache of them as a lawn customer anyway.
  6. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

word of mouth flyers its all good
  7. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

i did the same thing when i first got me my first customer. the first time i was cutting her lawn her neighbor came up came up to me and asked if i would do his. by the end of the year i had 5 lawns all in a row just from my first customer. not by word of mouth but by showing up (being reliable) and providing quality work!

my advice is to get your name out there anyway you can (flyers, doorhangers, newspapers, truck magnets/lettering, yard signs). Get a good base of customers, up sell, provide quality work and after a while the jobs will start coming to you. But remember, never stop advertising, it's better to turn down work then to not have any!
  8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

This is one of the best ways to get new customers.I have done a referral program for years.
  9. LawnSite Member

I agree once your out doing something/anything for any amount of money, neighbors will ask for a card, or if you have the door magnets on the side of your truck that will help too. But flyers and an ad in a local newspaper have helped me a lot.
  10. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

We do a dirct marketing campaign thru the post office , it works great if you can handle the calls. Our last one got us 200-400 calls per week.