1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rollacosta, May 15, 2006.

1. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

Can you still pick up new accounts this time of year,the weather/climate/growing conditions here are similar to New England.

The reason I ask is I had a lot of contract landscaping and tree work to do,and I didn't look for any grass cutting accounts,well I never had the time.

Thanks for your replies
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

you can pick up a client any day or time of the year.
  3. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

if you don't pick up your clients from the winter to April 15th, then you are screwed the rest of the year...by this time, everyone has already chosen which lowballer to go with...and in this area, that is the case...The market value here has gotten so messed up that I don't think it can ever be corrected...people don't like to switch LB's in midstream...They hold on to those 60 dollar a month accounts like stink on dookie once they have them...
  4. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

We just landed one tonight! The guy that does all my chemical apps. told her about me so this weekend I went and gave her a price. I then told her our program and how we operate on a weekly basis. Also told her that I would have to charge an extra $15.00 for her overgrown lawn the first time cutting. When I told her our rates I could tell she had sticker shock and I thought well so much for this and I quickly wrapped up my conversation with her as I thought that she was shopping around . Well tonight she called and asked if I would do it for her! So yes to can get them this time of year.
  5. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm still picking up new customers. I bet I get one or two a week, just from people seeing me mowing. I just had a call this evening from a customer that I picked up on Friday, now he has a resturant that he wants me to cut. I will give him an estimate tomorrow. That's two new properties since Friday. That is normal for me. I do have my truck professionaly lettered and I think I have a professional appearance. I think all of that helps. I stopped advertising and had put a message on my phone saying I was booked up for the summer. So I'm not even including all the jobs I could be getting if I continued to advertise.

That's why I believe you can still get new customers.