1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New accounts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by pjhmth, Oct 23, 2002.

1. pjhmth

pjhmth LawnSite Member

Looking for some assistance on getting customers. Started this with a partner in mid May of 2002. Got laid off in late June 2002. Only have 3 regular lawn customers, and about 6 snow plow customers, 1 of them commercial. I've tried flyers, but mostly have used advertising. Switched to a regional paper about a month ago and have gotten some regular and big project customers out of it. Usually get about 3 to 5 calls a week from it. A lot of the time it seems the people who call for estimates go with the low guy regardless. I guess my question is how do you attract quality customers and get into more commercial accounts? Doing this in the Southern New Hampshire area. Seems everytime I call in the Yellow Pages for a landscaping quote I don't even get call backs so I know the others are busy. Thanks!! Also how do you figure out how to quote for a cut? Is there some kind of guideline to go by?
  2. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

where in southern NH are you located. I live in brookline.
  3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

pj, do a search on advertising. it will really help

on my flyers, i put the quote right on it. also, be sure they see that you're insured. thats a biggie. maybe offer a referal service....for each new customer they get you, you can take 10-15% off. (mowing, or any service you provide) you need to give them a reason to go with you and not the cheap guy.

remember, when price drops....so does the quality!
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Go to the library or bookstore and check out a book called "Guerilla Marketing". As far as mowing quotes, live and learn. Everyone has been burned a couple of times, you just need to learn from your mistakes and go on. Use the search feature here on lawnsite, a wealth of information. I use to spend about 6 hours a day reading. I am down to about an hour a day now and still learning.