New Accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clc2003, Jan 18, 2005.

1. clc2003

clc2003 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ia

:help: I know this might sound a little stupid but I have to ask. Can you guys help me with some ideas on how to get some more business. I have decided to go full time with my business since I lost my job. However, I don't have much money to spend advertising. I am in process of getting an ad in phonebook but that is going to be about it. I am also looking to expand some of my services but again, not too much because I don't have funds for more equipment. Any help will be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks guys :)

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I would get the smallest ad you can for starters. Take the free one if they offer it and with the money you saved, design you some B&W fliers and find somebody you know with access to or has a copier. Gopher software has some great templates for fliers and they are free. Talk to your existing clients and tell them your situation...let them know they are important and you need the referals.

3. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

This works well in my area and will probably work well for you as well. This will only work on residential.

Make a flier that says who you are, what you do, and what the cost is. Something like this.

Charlies Lawn Care
    Quality lawn service at reasonable prices
    -Mowing
    -Edging XXX-XXXX
    -Line trimming
    -Blowing
    Price_______________ per week

Put two of these on a page and go to Kinkos and make copies.

Start walking and stick these to every door in a neighborhood with the price written in. Most houses in a subdivision will have similar lots. It is helpful to see the whole property but it is not necessary.

Putting the price on the flyer is very important. People want do know what the price is - they do not want you to come out and give them a free estimate though - they just want the price.

4. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Use the "FREE" bulletin boards at the supermarkets, Laundromats and so forth for some of your fliers. Keep them simple and use little tear-off tags on the sides or bottom of the sheet for your name & phone number. Keep track of them, because lowlifes will pull them to eliminate you as competitor, and some stores have a time limit for the ad placement. You can make these with a home computer and some thought.

Good Luck,

Jim

5. Lightningj33

Lightningj33 LawnSite Member

i was lucky enough to hook up with a lawn fert co. which is where %90 of my new accounts originate. it is a small family owned outfit but if they have a customer that needs there lawn mowed then my card comes out, and if one of my accounts needs fert...their card comes out. ask around maybe you could fall into something like that.
    good luck.
    miller

6. kturf

kturf LawnSite Member

A coupe of things i did that didn't cost a lot was magnet signs on my wifes vehicle and i use a cargo van with big sign on it on the week end park it at a mall or high traffic intersection go door to door with flyer's thats a couple of ideas for what its worth.