New "Ace" style connectors from Vista?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by irrig8r, Nov 5, 2009.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

ever since I had problems getting them from Nightscaping I got them from Gambino. I took 2 cases from Mike then the ones I ordered from Nightscaping 6 weeks previous showed up. Im about out now so need to get some more from Mike real soon.

3. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Will be interesting to see their pricing on this line and if it is competitive with the likes of the NS ACE, Lighting Shrink.com, etc.

4. irrig8r

So, how do MG's compare Billy? Same? Better?

And aren't you interested in seeing what Vista will be charging?

5. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Yup, looks like an Ace. Will have to see the pricing. I started sampling with the Northstar DBY connectors on some installs. They are definitely faster, although I don't have that warm fuzzy feeling in the pit of my tummy when I walk away either though.

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you using the crimp rings with the northstar tubes ? I never liked the crimps. Alot of guys out there and I have used em but anytime I used the northstar tubes I always preffered to solder. Still faster than an inline connector.

I have also found melted connections with the crimps (not done by me) which I attribute to installer error.

Of course I would be interested in seeing the price on the Vista connector. Im sure Mike would too as there is probably little to no profit in the sale of just the connector. Mikes connector is similar to an Ace but it has stainless set screws vs the brass. Both do the job they are intended for and do it well. My NS dist was always a pita to deal with and low and behold they no longer carry the brand.

I thought the Ace was patented ? The vista looks so similar.

7. irrig8r

It does look very similar. Having not seen them in person yet I can't tell how close they really are...

My distributor tells me NS prices for theirs went up a lot on 7/1.
    I bought all he had at the time back in March and haven't run out yet.

Suggested List Prices as of July 1, 2009 (compared to January 1, 2008):

ACE CONNECTOR
    1525-DB 7.00 was 5.50 (in Jan '08)
    1525-10DB 70.00 was 55.00
    1525-25DB 150.00 was 120.00

DUAL ACE CONNECTOR
    1538-DB 9.00 was 8.00
    1538-15DB 125.00 was 112.00

QUARTER ACE CONNECTOR
    1515-DB 6.00 was 4.50
    1515-25DB 135.00 was 98.00

Remember, these are publicly available list prices. Not going to share my discount rate, if any.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  8. Terradek

Terradek LawnSite Member

Not only is Vista jumping on the "Ace" bandwagon but King Innovation has just announced its own version of the "Ace". I don't know pricing for Vista since I do not carry Vista but I can tell you that King will be less than NS. The King unit will be available shortly, keep an eye out for our 2010 Buyer's Guide for its introduction.

9. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I find it interesting how the manufacturers are now seeing the need to move to a better connector. At least they are catching up finally.

Billy, I am simply double crimping my connections. Have never had a problem yet with a loose connections shorting and causing heat issues.

10. irrig8r