New Adobe programs

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by dtelawncare, May 8, 2006.

1. dtelawncare

dtelawncare LawnSite Member

I didn't know where exactly to post this. I just got the Adobe Designer 7.0, Go Live CS2, Help Center, Illustrator CS2, Image Ready CS2, In Design CS2, Photoshop CS2, and theReader 7.0. My question is how do I use these. I can do little with them, but where would be the best place to for info on how to learn all the features with the program??

2. FyrFyt

FyrFyt LawnSite Member

To be honest with you, those are some high caliber programs that carry a steep learning curve for most. As far as how to learn to use them, I would say you have three choices.

1. Online tutorials - All the information in the world is out there (for free, do not pay a website to see a tutorial). Try a google search for the application you want to learn. Use words like "tutorial" "how to" "tips" etc.

2. Go to your local book store and pick up on of the Dummies series or Learnin 24hr series. There are a number of boks out there. take your time and look through them at the store to make sure you like how it is writen and you can follow the instructions easily. The nice thing about books is you have a quick reference close by at all times.

3. Enroll in a technical school or community college for a design program. This one is for sure the most costly of routes, but will also give you some good hands on.

I would suggest taking each program one at a time. Learn and get the basics down with it, then move to the next one. Like I said you have some high caliber programs there that are used by professional designers so do not be discouraged my the complexity of the programs. Take them one at a time then work on the next one.

Depending on your initial project, I would recomemnd Photoshop as it always seems to be involved in any project. Then moving to Illustrator or perhaps Designer.

Here are a few links to get you started.
    http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials.htm
    http://www.designertoday.com/Tutorials.aspx

Good luck!!!

3. peter wilson

peter wilson LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I have been using photoshop for several years and would be happy to answer any questions you may have. It is a very intence program and can take years to learn it's full potential. I am a part time photographer and use it mostly for image editing. I also have a degree in digital media design and us photoshop for designing things. If you are wanting to design flyers or marketing things for your business I would suggest using Adobe's InDesign. It makes page layouts a lot quicker than photoshop

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i spent 40 thousand for a bachlors degre to learn to use all said programs to a professional level, in fact the future was so bright in the graphics feild... after a degree and 10 years experience, ..

im here cutting grass

5. dtelawncare

Thanks guys, I do know this will not ba an overnight thing. First I would like to use this to make flyers and other advertising.

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

they have some useful books on the subject..look for the thin books.... lots of un-needed info...:)

or a good bookstore

7. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

Wow, that's a hell of a lot of software to come by without knowing anything about the different apps. I'd say it's roughly $1500 worth of programs that aren't always the most user friendly.

Good luck!!

8. dtelawncare

Badgerz, you are right. Let's just say I have a friend who got it for me at a really good price. I have never used the programs to create, but at my full time job, we use a good bit of adobe software. I am fairly familiar with what can be done with them.

9. dtelawncare

Oh yeah, I think it is a little closer to $3000 worth of material. He is supposed to be getting me the 2006 Auto Cad also.