New Advertisement

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mike TMI, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Mike TMI

Mike TMI LawnSite Member

My buddy and I are thinking of new ways to grab homeowners attention.

I guess I have to explain...I service 3 areas close to my shop. Within a 18 mile square ratius...there is 27,000 single family homes. We also have about 150 LCO's in this area. ( by night operations)

We were thinking of putting together a flyer with a man sweating behind a push mower....and put above it........... STEP AWAY FROM THE MOWER! or DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME... and at the bottom put something like ....LET THE PROFESSIONALS TAKE OVER!

Anybody like it or should I throw this idea out?
  2. LawnScapes of P-Town

LawnScapes of P-Town LawnSite Member

People dont like to be told what to do so i would throw the idea out

3. elijahjames

elijahjames LawnSite Member

I was thinking of what type of advertisement for a similar problem. A bunch of fly by night operations and how to counter them. What do you think of this idea: A short flyer or newsletter describing what a professional LCO is compared to the scrubs.

My main focus area is the liability in people hiring scrubs with no insurance. I would like to include an example of alawsuit where a scrub has cost the homeowner money. I think an example or two will encourage people to go with a licensed and insured LCO. Any thoughts; and more importantly, and example of lawsuits or similar?
  4. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

Let me ask you this, how do you feel that marketing strategy will help you get work? Sounds like most of the 150's lco's in your area are probably putting out advertisements with a similar message. Why should a potential customer choose you over them? how can you differentiate yourself? Why do customers want you to do the work for them instead of doing it themselves? What do you offer them?

Some things to ponder
  5. Mike TMI

Mike TMI LawnSite Member

First I see the same old flyers in this area. Our first thought was to grabs someone's humor and then let them think about the rest of the flyer.

There is one other residential company that is bigger than I am in this area. He has 900 residentials and we talk quite a bit about that most of our "new" clients seek us out but he still puts flyers out just like I do but he puts out flyers all year long.

Obviously, all of us on here offer the same thing but I try and do what my slogan says..."Large enough to handle all your needs...Small enough to add that personal touch!"..Most potential clients want 1st of all quality work but they want to feel recognized...I try my best to get to know the client, not just for potential sales but as a potential relationship. They will trust me better. We send flowers to mothers that give birth. We add their childrens names to a birthday list and other little tidbits.

The only reason I want to flyer (which I hate). Is to take care of the turnover...just last year alone I lost 45 house to people putting them up for sale. I did pick up quite of the new homeowners though!
  6. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

So you answered your question, you should not use the ideas you mentioned. You specialize in personal service, let everyone know it.

Through dialog with my customers I figured out that my customers like me because I talk to them, get to know them, and have a relationship with them. So this season I got fliers done up to reflect this. On the front is a cartoon of me on a mower waving. On the back is a 'hand written' letter inviting them to try my lawn service because we are the most personable in the business!

Just some thoughts

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Mike- I think people respond well to humor, so long as its clever and doesn't "put them down". I'm sure you could use this idea and make it work.

You sure about the 150 LCOs? Seems more like 1,150...
  8. Mike TMI

Mike TMI LawnSite Member

I'm tellin ya....and really I just want 50 new clients and I'm done. I want to start my 4th crew with the 1 landscaping crew and I'm finished advertising. I hate it anyways. I want them to seek usual instead of going out and trying to get them.

One of my old employees started a company late last year. I know he isn't legit. I called him on Monday and told him I was giving him until next week to get his insurance and start paying his guys taxes or I'm turning him in. (Just a sidenote)....I'm not going to call anyone but he doesnt know that.

It does seem like 1 LCO(fly-by-night) starts everyday.