New Aerator Design

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Likestomow, Oct 26, 2000.

1. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a new MillerMatic welder and my first project is to build two tow-behind aerators for next season. I plan to make them similar to the split shaft Claussen design, but I want to go further. BTW, they won't be for-sale, so there won't be any patent infringement issues.

I'd like to come up with a design for a mechanical lift setup that will force the travel wheels down without having to bring them down physically, like when I want to transport the unit or when going around corners, etc. They will be towed by a Z, so there won't be any 3-point hitch to use. I had toyed with the idea of adding a 12v. electric hydraulic system, but I think that would drive the cost up a bit higher than practical.

I'm sure some of you out there either make some of your own equipment, or maybe you know those who do. I doubt my idea is new, so I'm hoping this has been tried successfully by someone else.

I'd like to hear everyone's ideas and suggestions on this. Thanks.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I build my own equipment sometimes.I think your idea is a good one-but if you want it to lift,I only see 2 ways,and both are expensive.Ist use electric/hydro pump and a single ram mounted in line with the towbar,a peice of pipe with brackets that go to the outboard wheels will lift .I think Iwould buy a an electric winch like the ones they use on ATV's.rig this up with a cable to pull on the lever that would lift it,reverse the motor to drop it,the weight will drop it,only lift needed.

3. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

I'm in the process of mounting a tow behind 48" aerator to the front of a Toro Z-Master.We are using a 12 volt linear actuator.It's very similar to an electric jack used on satellite dishes.It's rated at 1000lbs. of lift,has 6" of travel and moves at 3/4" per second.A local machine shop ordered it for us.($127 including shipping.)

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I was looking at an old pull type aerator at an auction last weekend, it had a neat lifting system. It was simliar to the way a hydraulic jack works, it only needs to lift about 6". You pumped the lever to lift it and turned the handle to lower it. Cheap and simple, it would be easy to run a line to the back and use your foot to pump it.