New Aerator..Need Advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Planter, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I'm in the market for a new aerator for this spring. I am looking at the split drum Lescos (Clausen). I like the idea of having it split to turn, but one of the other guys in the area said that he heard they have problems with the split drums. Any on have one and used it for a few years? Do you like it? Any other recommendations?

I plan on keeping my old one for the narrow gates, and add a 26 inch this year.

2. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

Could you give some info on when and how to aerate?

what times of year?

aerate over left to right then back over up and down, or just once over??

when do you work it in?? on rainy days? (isnt the ground suppose to be damp)

do you wait on a mow?? is so, how long?

how much do you charge?? aproximate 1/4 acre? 1/2 acre? 3/4 acre? etc..

do these things have seeders? and do you use them?? if so how much more do you charge??

when do you lay fertilizer? b4 or after? different times totally??

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Afftandem, Not trying to be a smarta** but you can do a search on the questions you asked and get a ton of info. Do a lot of reading and than ask one or two questions about a single point.
    Good book to get --- Lawn Aeration, Turn Hard Soil Into Cold Cash.-- by Robin M. Pedrotti.

As far as the question of the thread, I too would like to know how the split drum units hold up. I have a Pluger 800 and it works great but it has a problem on the hills so I am looking for units that have a better self propelled system that would be easer to turn. On a flat lot the pluger is easy to turn and will pull great plugs.
    I have intrest in the Turfco unit. It looks like it would work easy and I have heard good things about it but have not heard from a person that has run it thru a season.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I love my Plugr 800!

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

6. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

So the question remains, anyone using split drums aerators and how do you like them?

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Planter---I did ask around a lot this last year if any of the rental yards ran them and not a one did. Not sure if that means anything or not. The local Sunbelt said, that would only be something else for the customers to break.
    I had a pluger rep bring a unit out to test before I bought. Call the brand that you have an intrest in and see if they can do that.
    Not real sure why nobody has any info. Maybe they are junk so nobody uses them.

8. Old Hippy

Old Hippy LawnSite Member

I have several Turfco aerators some with some real age on them. They put a two year warranty on the things if you are worried about how they hold up keep it two years sell it and buy a new one like some of the rental people do. I have looked at the TurnAer they have and it is all the same stuff chains, shafts and etc as the ones I have they just have two of them put together with a differential to drive them so they will turn. Actually pretty simple. Should hold up well.