1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New and Curious to how many of you..

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mowtivations lawncare, Dec 25, 2007.

1. mowtivations lawncare

mowtivations lawncare LawnSite Member

either are currently or started out as a one man operation. I started my business (legally) in October of this year alone and every other company or "dude wit a mower and truck" is always with a partner or two. How many of you guys do it all solo like lil ol me?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I do, go it 2-3 years and you'd be surprised at how often you get done in about the same time as those teams you see.
    Way I do it is just one lawn and one day at a time, lalala, just do your thing, don't worry about nobody else.
    In time you'll see what I mean, but just let it happen, take care of yours and keep doing that.
  3. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I started and still am a one man operations, my dad helps me occasionally on bigger jobs.
  4. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I start one man and will continue with just myself for s long as I can. I don't need the head ache of an employee and sure don't want some one telling me "if it were me I would" the customer does that enough with out an employee doing it. I love it working as fast or slow as I want.
  5. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I am solo, but wrestling with the idea of hiring a helper. Still not sure if it is a good idea.

It took 2 years to fill my schedule. It took 2 more to optimize my schedule. By optimize I mean that all the accounts are close to home, they all pay their bills, and they all pay full price. Good repeat business on aeration, dethatching, cleanups, etc.
  6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I started solo but after a few years and being full I found that my quality was lacking. Mainly in spring with lush growth and then again fall when the days just weren't long enough. I added one guy and quality was back plus added another 20 yards. the second guy mainly does aerations and extras and is a nice help when we get large extras. Looking to add a 3rd this next year and another truck. I just can't justify going back to myself even if I am only making the same as if I were by myself. If I get hurt or sick I can take off and not loose any accounts. I also like to go on vacation in the summer instead of always working, the extra guys let me do that.
    All this said I am fortunate to have as many customers as I do. I do remember when I was starting, praying for more customers and racking my brain on how to get them. I hope never to go back to those days.

Good luck which ever way you do it.
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

This is EXACTLY what I'm thinking about for this next year... I'm currently solo, but I'm maxed out. My work quality is suffering and I never have time to do all the extra work anymore. I spend all day, every day just mowing, if it rains I about loose my mind. Me getting sick or injured during the season would cripple my business, and the quality/extras issues isn't keeping my customers happy anymore. It's time for me to find some HELP. I would like to run this more like a business and not consuming my whole life 9 months of the year.
  8. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

i was solo for a while but my other job forced me to either quite or partner up .. so i partnered up and it is not that bad... we only mow part-time right now. so it will pick up in the spring and were both ready ...this time !!!!

MUDFLAP LawnSite Member

solo for 2 seasons now, with some part time help from my teenage sons, not getting rich, but doing good, need to have a backup, 1 good illness or injury, puts you down for a week, can take out yrs of what you have blt up
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My opinion is if my quality is suffering then my prices are too low.