New and wanting advice!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Cimarron Landscape, May 15, 2005.

1. Cimarron Landscape

Cimarron Landscape LawnSite Member

Hi
    First post here on the forum.
    I'm starting up a lawn business here in central Texas, I've been mowing lawns for 4 years, but now it's time to get serious. I've looked at different mowers on and off, but don't know exactly what to look for.
    I'll be mowing 1/4-3/4 acre yards, with the majority being 1/2 acre. I need some advice regarding what brand mower to go with. I'm leaning towards Exmark, but don't know for sure. I'm looking for a midsize walkbehind that I can use a sulky with, preferebly hydraulic drive. What price range am I looking at? Is this a bad idea for a new business? What size deck do you reccomend? Basically I would like to glean from the advice of you that have been doing this for a long time, and learn the best way to start, so I don't fall flat on my face :rolleyes: .
    Thanks for your time.
    ~Brian
    BTW, Searched on this, couldn't find much.

2. Cimarron Landscape

oops, didn't realize there was a section for us newbies :blush: Thanks Mods! :)
    ~Brian

3. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro and Exmark are made by the same company....I got a 36" Toro WB, belt drive, paid 2300.00 new...it does what it needs to...I really should have picked up a 34 Rider for what I have....but I did not have my yards lined up first....welcome to LawnSite...it has great info..

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Cimarron- Best thing as far as equipment choice is to demo different mowers from a dealer. Most dealers carry only certain brands of equipment...you'll probably want to deal with someone close to you, don't want to drive 2 hours to pick up parts or for repairs. Asking what brands are best, you'll get a million different opinions, better to try some out for yourself.

Generally, the bigger the deck size, the better and faster, just keep in mind you will probably have to fit thru some fence gates, so if you can only afford one machine you'll have to take this into account.

I paid $2300 for an Exmark Metro (belt drive) and $3650 for an Exmark Viking (hydro) for some ballpark prices.

5. Sweetwater

Sweetwater LawnSite Member

Cimarron- Just picked up full size turf tracer 52/23 (demo) for 5300.00 (100 hrs). Turf Tracer HP is very nice and a bit shorter around 5K. Whatever you select from Exmark WBs, make sure you get the ECS...it is awesome! If I were to begin againa, all new, I would not do gear drives again. Local dealer has 48" viking (15hp?) for 3800.00

6. Cimarron Landscape

Should I go with 36" or 48" deck? I'll need to get inside gates, etc...have any of yall had problems with the 48?
    Basically, I have $3000 to spend. I want to get the nicest I can. Hydro preferebly. I have a honda 215HD HX that I'm considering selling. It's $950 new, and it has a maximum of 300 hrs on it...probably closer to 200. I don't like it because it's slow, maximum of 3 mph. I do like it for having a REALLY smooth cut...do yall reccomend selling it? Also, how much do you think it is worth?
    Thanks for the help
    ~Brian

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

they wont let him demo anything, he is 16 and in "BUSINESS" for 4 years?????,

8. Cimarron Landscape

yalp...like I said, starting to get serious now. No, 4 years is not how long I've mowed my own yard. Its IN BUSINESS!!!
    sheesh. :rolleyes:
    As for demoing: ever heard of parents? I assume you had some at some point. ;) around here the dealers don't care much about age. Also, it's like a knife. You can look at if if you parent is nearby.
    ~Brian

9. Cimarron Landscape

I'm new to doing this on a large-scale, and just learning ya'lls teminology. By demo, do you mean you're takin it home for a week or something? I'm assuming you mean at the dealer. If it's taking it home, still easy. Put it in my dad's name.
    ~Brian

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you cant be in business, your a minor, you cant be in business till your 18, till then, well you know what its called....

dont mean to sound like a jerk, but you have to realize there are grown men and women trying to make a living at this, not making video game money so some may get irritated, i am sorry if i came on strong...

we are losing jobs that pay 25 a yard to kids mowing them for 5 bucks....

get insurance and legal, and good luck, hope your successful