New at estimates & bids

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Green Elegance, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Green Elegance

Green Elegance LawnSite Member

Hello and good day everyone, the name is Daniel, and this is my first posting to the site. I am a young guy, and new to the lawn business, although it has been a passion for years. I have started a lawn & landscape business and know the basics. One thing that has confused me is how to bid on different projects/ jobs. Does anyone know of a site that can direct me with some details. Thank you,
    -Daniel
    Dallas, TX

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

on what your market will bear, what are your cost to operate, what do you wnat to make as a profit, ... do a search here, make some bids, loose your butt and learn from mistakes,

3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

exactly , it all depends on what your region is accostomed to paying . also do a search on mulch ,pinestraw, and crushed brick figures .cubic feet and all .

4. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

I would recommend finding out what your costs are. How much will it cost you to do the job (insurance, gas, cell phone, etc). then add what you want to make per hour x how many hours it will take to complete the job. If you don't think the figure you have arrived at is competitive, you will have to get into a different line of work or find a way to be more efficient and trim costs.

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

wish i would have dont that when i started, i guessed, lost my butt, and learned the hard way... now i know my cost to operate, and what i need to charge to make a profit....

as usual, a day late and a dollar short...hahahah
    :blush:

6. trinity4life38

trinity4life38 LawnSite Member

What's going on, Everyone? My name is Helen and I'm new to the business of lawn care. I have a lot of questions to be answered for me. I hope there are some compassionate and free hearted people in this chat room. :dancing:
    I have one question now: How do I bid for a residential, commercial, or government lawn care contract?:weightlifter:

7. trinity4life38

trinity4life38 LawnSite Member

What's going on, Everyone? My name is Helen and I'm new to the business of lawn care. I have a lot of questions to be answered for me. I hope there are some compassionate and free hearted people in this chat room. :dancing:
    I have one question now: How do I bid for a residential, commercial, or government lawn care contract?:weightlifter:

8. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Get out there brave the elements good or bad and hold to your hat, and yes you will have that feeling when you give a bid and they jump on it right away.
    Ask yourself what you want to make after the expenses. Do some research what it takes to run your equipment and you still make money, come up with a price list for all your services