New b/p blower- Echo 603 or 650?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jun 30, 2004.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Ok, my Kaw is broke down again (5 year old blower, has served well not junk ok). It is causing me downtime and i have to be mowing. I was going to buy a new b/p blower before leaf season but ideally not right after buying a new edger..... so i'm in a pinch. money is tight but I think i will have to suck it up and get a new blower. I've pretty well decided on Echo due to local dealers, local choices of machines (no redmax around here) and because everyone here is happy with theirs. I thought the 650 would be great and i tried it, WOW. It is $474. The mechanic told me I ought to consider the 603 for $399.

I will have the bagger for the mower, so the 650 may not be necessary. Will i be happy with a 603 or do I REALLY NEED to get the 650? Is the 603 more powerful than my 48 cc Kaw?
    I will probably buy in the morning.
    Thanks,
    Eric

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Get the 750...Bigger Air Filter...& Yes the 650/750 is Worth the eXtra $$$$ !!!

3. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

I have used both (not side by side) and don't see much difference in the power. I like the frame the 603 has. If you take a look, I believe it has plastic rails that cover the out side and around the motor. This gives protection and also something to grab when starting it.

Happy blowing!:p

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I've been using a Echo 603 for 4 years or so never let me down. Seems plenty powerfull for me.:)

5. i think you really know the answer to your question eric......the 650 .....and forget ...fairey lawncares 750 big air cleaner if the 750 costs more ...my 650 in two seasons aint needed a new air cleaner .

6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The Difference is Substantial...Never Skimp on Power or Air Filter Size!

7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If you are going to be doing a lot of Fall leaf clean-ups, the PB-750 is an awesome blower. It will handle heavy wet leaves and grass with ease. It's a heavy blower and I don't use mine for every day mowing clean-up. But when I need big time power I use the 750.

8. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

In the power test I saw at the GIE,the 650 blew the balls about twice as high up the tube as the 603.They weigh about the same,the more power,the less time on your back.

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have the 750t. You get a bigger air filter, really comfortable straps and the option of handle ot tube mounted throttle. I love it.

10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Get the 750T like tharrell said. bigger straps than the 650, it is SOOO much more comfortable to wear over teh 650.