1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Backhoe owner operator in NJ

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by saxman150, Feb 20, 2006.

1. saxman150

saxman150 LawnSite Member

I am a computer professional and musician. Over the last three years due to my time limitations I couldn't focus on long term projects because my music business has taken me away for weeks at a time. So I have been performing three to four days per week and doing computers on a very part time basis. The competition is very high. I have done swimming pool installation, sprinkler installation and construction in the past to suppliment my income.
    I have always been interested in owning a vehicle either for plowing, digging or moving dirt. I purchase a book from Vista on The backhoe. I want to learn to operate the backhoe and work on a per job basis according to my schedule. I want to learn the business then purchase a machine. I want to know how I can learn to operate either a Cat or Bob cat backhoe. I also want to know which one is better for my needs, easier to transport etc. I want to know insurance and problem issues. Lastly who can I learn from or work for to get up to speed on a part time basis. Should I hook up with landscapers, construction people or private. My goal is to market myself and when someone calls me I do the job. I want to be able to take the work as needed. Thanks for your help this is a neat site and I am looking forward to direction.
  2. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Deffinatly a CAT
  3. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

If you are able to, get a class A CDL. It will help you when it comes time to do your own thing, and when you are trying to learn how to use the machines, it will definately help you get in the door with construction companies.
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Here there is a school in Coolige, AZ that teaches heavy equip and will help you get your CDL. Sounds like you're looking at hte smaller machines though. Not too sure on those except to be trained like I was from someone that already knew how to run it. Good luck to you. :waving: