1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new backpack blower trouble

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Angelo, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Angelo

Angelo LawnSite Member

Ok i just bought a new red max 7000 backpack blower, and its not getting to full speed. I don't know if the carb needs adjusting or if cause its new it needs to be broken in. Some times it will push out a little more volume then drop back down? I would take it back to the dealer bought I bought it when I was out of state, I saved a $100 but I guess it wasn't worth it. I adjusted the throtle cable, but that didn't help much. I believe there are 2 adjusting screws (1 for gas, 1 for air) on the carb and I think that if I adjust them I should be alright but where are they located?
  2. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: angelo, there is no longer an adjustment screw on the carbs due to goverment regulations, make sure the choke is'nt closed, tony
  3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Check also to see that the muffler doesn't have some debris in it that is obstructing air flow. Even new equipment can have junk in it from the factory. You may have to take it off, which should be easy if it is new.
  4. Angelo

Angelo LawnSite Member

I checked the mufler, moved the choke into every possible position, checked the fuel filter, changed the gas/oil mix checked the air filter, and nothing has helped. Could it be just that the engine still needs to break in??
  5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

If I just bought a new blower and it wasn't working like I thought it should, I'd take it back to where I got it, and NOT touch a thing.

6. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Dont know if you ever got this resolved but if not make sure you check the throttle adjustment at the handle. If an inexperienced person assembled it perhaps it just needs adjustment.

just a thought.

7. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

it it's still fairly new , you might have cable stretch , just make it maybe 1/8" tighter :)
  8. Angelo

Angelo LawnSite Member

The cable was the first thing i though of to, but that didn't work, I ended up taking it to a local dealer and he said he adjusted the air intake. Now I thought that on the new carbs you couldn't adjust that? In anycase its fixed and running strong, just in time for leaf season.
  9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

2 simple things to check

1. Like mentioned before, make sure choke is all the way open - sometimes it is in the up position, but not all the way - this limits power.

2. Make sure the assembly that the breather tube for the air cleaner is not pushed in towards the carb. This will screw up your throttle mechanism on the carb. Sometimes Ive noticed that mine gets pushed in (probably from bouncing against another blower on trailer) and the throttle gets stuck in full open and will not throttle back.

10. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

yah, what Turfdude said about the trottle and the air tube, that happened to one of my redmaxxes too.