1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

NEW Bad Boy or not

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawns Etc, Jun 16, 2009.

1. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I am in the market for a new Z and I have previously owned Exmark,Dixie,Everride,JD and Cub Commercial all 60'' so I am looking for another 60" I checked around at my 2 local dealers who both have good service. Here is what I am looking at

60" Lightning Z 31 Kawi with no flat tires and wing included $8695 with a $500 in store gift certificate for the dealers shop.

I demoed one last year and would just have to get used to sitting a little higher than any of the other mowers.

What I am asking is the price in line with what you guys are seeing. They also stock the LC 26 Kawi but I had the 29 LC DFI on the Deere 797 and was not inmpressed so I dont think I want to go with that.

2. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know much about bad boy mowers, but this is what I do know. The perks are as follows, Price....definetly cant beat the price when comparing to a different brand of same motor/deck size. Minus, the entire machine "swings" open. Just seems like too many parts that can break. The spindles are NOT greasable. I dont see how that can be good. I grease all spindles WEEKLY. If I were you I would think like I do. You get what you pay for. Some things are slightly cheaper than others, but there is something about bad boys prices that make me think.....I mean they are thousands cheaper......so theyre saving money somewhere..........and I wont risk it. Im not rich by any means.....but if youre cutting that many lawns.....youre better off with a better name machine......you save 2K.....which is a lot, but it could bite you in the butt. 2K is a lot but it might only be 4 payments more to get a toro or bobcat or scag or whatever.....

3. lawns Etc

I am not saving much over a Bobcat Predator Pro $8900 or Dixie Classic 33/60 $9100
    I have looked them over pretty well and they seem well thought out and there is alot of positive feedback here on this site. I have logged thousands of hours on multiple Zs so I can get used to anything. If it were service only I would definately go Dixie as the dealer is close by and is awesome but the decks on the Dixies are not great when the wet crabgrass starts up very soon lots of chunkin. I like Deere but will not buy a 800 series. So I am up in the air with Bobcat and the Bad Boy same dealer and service.

4. SfTD_service_CENTER

SfTD_service_CENTER LawnSite Senior Member

i dont think you would be dissapointed with a 830a deere. anyway dixie chopper is awsome with double blades i would just buy that or a predator pro! the bobcat predator pro with the generac is suposed to be one of the best mowers from what i hear and they also have alot of nice features with the deck leveling system and they are fast and they cut alot of grass. go with the bobcat!

5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

This is a tough call I would ask to demo both the bobcat & the bad boy. Go with what you like,either are fine machines and both are priced to sell.

As much as I like the Bad boys the kawaski air cooled big blocks are gas hogs. You will have tons of power, while sucking fuel at 1.6 to 2.0 GPH. Good luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. lawns Etc

I have ran the Dixie double X blades and they are great but not on juicy crabgrass.The Bobcat seems great but side by side I cant make much of a difference with the BB both have good seats the financing is about the same.I demoed both last year and cut and stripe are similar so its hard for me.

7. nosparkplugs

Ok then go with the Bad Boy it's got thicker metal, and their soon to not be the underdog anymore.

I could not be happier with our Bad Boy, as you know all whom have purchased a BB come on here HAPPY!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd go for the Predator Pro. That is an amazing mower. With the Generac engine, it's unstoppable. The Bad Boy I demoed was a 28hp diesel, which has been discussed on these forums as a bad engine choice compared to the 35hp diesel. Anyway, I didn't like the way the Bad Boy handled compared to my Woods (which is built by bobcat). And like nosparkplugs mentioned, several users have commented that the big Kawasakis drink the fuel. My mower uses 1.3 gph. The Generac also provides more stable power, according to Bobcat. The product manager emailed me and said because it's actually a generator engine, the Generac governor allows less rpm drop in heavy loads. I know I've cut grass over a foot tall at full speed and it doesn't lug down at all.

9. nosparkplugs

I would take the 28hp Perk-A-Piller its doing well in the Scag TT. Its the mule belt on the AOS BB's. That 28hp diesel on BB with a smaller deck like a 52 or 48, would be a different CAT all together, and sip fuel all day long. These diesel mills spin slower,and like to lugg, more than a gasburner.

My brother loves the Generac engines too, next to the diesels that is a bad arse engine.only the Dixie Choppers here have the Generac's.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. lawns Etc

Does anyone have specs and pricing on the 26 LC Kawi just for comparison.