New battery in Exmark, now deck is dead?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hubjeep, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Hubjeep

Hubjeep LawnSite Member

Last week I put a new battery into my Exmark LaserZ-HP (23Kawi, 52" deck), it started right up today but....

Now the electric clutch will not engage. :realmad: I have never had a problem in the 3 years I have owned this machine.

BTW, I checked and re-checked the battery connections, heavy red wire to (+), heavy black to (-) along with two small ground wires. All are nice and clean.

Are there any other fuses besides the two along the left side under the seat?

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

no, that is all the fuses. make sure that they are in nice and tight, and that the tabs are clean.

have you checked the connections at the clutch?
    then work you way back. it is possible that you have a bad clutch switch.
  3. EXspyguy

EXspyguy LawnSite Member

You probably pulled the plug off the back of the pto switch.
  4. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

You cant expect it to go forever without any problems.I have a Ztwo in the shop that needs the deck hangers rebuilt, its going on 3yrs old and hasnt given any real problems. Things happen.
  5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

that probably right, you probably did pull the plug off. I'll tell you right now, on my lazer hp, it is a pain to reach those plugs, but you can do it if you are carfull. you may have to take the front panel off, and do it that way. if it is where mine is, I think it can be done from the back.
  6. Hubjeep

Hubjeep LawnSite Member

Thanks, I will check that again.

Maybe I will remove the panel and get the grass off everything for a really good look.

BTW, what does the "mercury switch" (little round black thing behind the engine) do? (just curious). One more, does the 23 Kawi have a low oil pressure shut off? If not, has anyone added a gauge?

7. Hubjeep

Hubjeep LawnSite Member

I removed the PTO switch, sent power to the orange wire (to clutch), and ground: no clutch. Next I was going to send power directly to the clutch, then I notice the clutch wire was disconnected from the harness! Connect it up and everything is back to normal.

There is no way the clutch connector could have been disturbed by replacing the battery, wow, two unrelated thingsĀ… you never know.

BTW, I replaced my battery with an Odyssey dry cell, for some reason those lawn tractor batteries never last more than a few years (even on a battery maintainer).

They can sit for two years and not discharge, never leak, and no crud around the terminals. I have one in my diesel auto, diesel backup generator, and 13' boat (especially nice since they are small and won't leak). I found the small one on E-bay (they fit motorcycles).

8. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

I had my PTO switch go after about 3yrs. no big deal if your not on a jobsite like I was. Order a new one online or your local dealer, I think they were about $12. Need to have little hands to get in there.Merc switch is for Roll Over Protection.
  9. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i just went through the same thing , first use a voltage meter to test if you have fire going to the switch , then check fire tot the clutch , then check airgap in clutch . you should be able to adjust it to about 10 thousanths to make it work again .
  10. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

The same happened to me around the three year mark also. It turned out to be the pto switch. No big deal just one of those simple things that always go wrong at the wrong time.