New battery loud solenoid click no starter engagement

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ProStreetCamaro, Apr 27, 2010.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Battery is new and tested in another machine. I am getting a very loud audible solenoid click but the starter does not do anything. I can keep trying and eventually it will engage the starter and the mower will start. Kind of lost on what is causing it? Switch, solenoid or starter itself? This is on our Gravely 34Z with the 15hp kawasaki twin.
  2. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, could be any one, or more of the items you mentioned. Before you go spending money check the HD wiring. Battery to solenoid to starter also any earth straps, engine to chassis, battery to chassis. Remove them and clean with a wire brush so they are 100% clean.

Good luck, Phil
  3. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

getting the selonoid to click makes me think your starter is likely the problem. Just my guess.
  4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

You obviously have power to the solenoid. Hook the clamp end of your test light to an engine ground then touch the test light to the starter post with the switch in start position. If you get no response to your test light the solenoid contacts are bad. If you get the test light to light you have problems with the starter.

5. coyote247

coyote247 LawnSite Member

Jump the solenoid.....does starter engage? If so replace solenoid. If your starter is working sometimes, then the solenoid would be my first guess.
  6. stihlboy

stihlboy LawnSite Member

smack the starter with a hammer, it will work then:drinkup:
  7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Do that and you will need to buy a new starter. That old trick does not work. The starter mangets will be broken lose and the starter will be trashed.
  8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

No necessarily. There is a contact pad in side the selonoid that gets burned up over time. If it is burnt bad enough it will not close the circuit no matter how much clicking noise it makes. Put and meter at the starter and see if there is power from the selonoid to the starter. The clicking noise really does not mean all that much. Use a test meter or test light at the starter and have someone trun the key to start for you if you can not do both by your self.
  9. stihlboy

stihlboy LawnSite Member

should have said tap
  10. stihlboy

stihlboy LawnSite Member

should have said tap, and if it doesn't work why do i have to do it on my 17hp kawasaki:hammerhead:

the starter doesn't contact properly at times and needs a small jolt to get the current flowing