1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Battery

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 02DURAMAX, Jan 7, 2007.

1. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I need to replace the battery on my stander 23hp Kawasaki....does anyone know of a good battery for mowers??...Or should i just buy one from the dealer??

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

just go to a auto parts store
  3. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Walmart will have what you need.
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

For a good batttery that will have the power and last you some time, invest in Interste batteries! The SP-40 workaholic battery from interstate should do you quite well.

I have tried those cheap walmart and pepboys batteries and they aren't worth the hassle.
  5. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Look around and find a true maintenance free battery that has no access to add water. These have to have better vent systems that keep from loosing water and you never need to add/check for water. Some batteries claim to be maintenance free but have water fill access and do not have good vent systems and do require water adds.

If your Stander is like our 52inch/23HP then it will use the standard U1L Lawn and Garden type battery to fit the battery tray/case. The factory battery was a Deka Part number 10 U1L rated at 365 Cranking amps at 32 degrees F. I bought my last U1L battery at IIRC Advance Auto for around $35. It was a 365 CA at 32 degrees F also. Other item to remember is to get the battery posts on the correct side to match your application but the U1L indicates the post side I think. They had some for around 25 and 19 with less cranking amps but I like to get the larger capacity battery for the extra power on the cold days when it get older and think that the larger capacity last a while longer. If you can keep them on a battery tender brand or equivalent maintainer over the winter to keep them from shorter life through internal dischage and sulfation they will last longer.

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Buy a gell filled. The plates in a lead acid battery can't take the vibration and shock that a mower will put on them. Plate separation is what leads to most battery failures. If your mower has enough room to put an Optima in it, it will most likely last the life of the mower.
  7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm familliar with Optima batteries, and have a very high opinion of them.

But, do they make one small enough that you could practically use it on a mower such as the one in question?
  8. 02DURAMAX

Thanks everyone for all the help on this.:)
  9. 02DURAMAX

J&R do you run those batteries on your equipment??...I think i'm ganna look into the Interste batteries.:rolleyes:
  10. 02DURAMAX

I dont think they make optima batteries that small...But if they did make one that would be my battery!:usflag: