New Bed Installation

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by PhillipsBrosLawnCare, Feb 3, 2010.

1. PhillipsBrosLawnCare

PhillipsBrosLawnCare LawnSite Member

Just polling what everyone out there does with this situation: When installing a new landscape bed, after you have the new soil hauled in and placed do you lay down a weed barrier type tarp before the mulch or do you simply go soil, mulch, then a pre-emergent.

Reason I was wondering is because we usually place the barrier down on all new installs. However its a pain and really takes alot of time. We installed one for a new client that got a bid from a nursery to install. The nursery had just listed putting a granular pre-emergent down and no barrier.

What does everyone else do? Thanks.

Jeremy:usflag:

2. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I never use fabric. I hate the stuff. I think it causes more problems than it solves.

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Fabric works...for a little while. Problem is, weed seeds will come in from the wind. Once a weed germinates and roots through the fabric....you really cant pull the weeds out anymore. Mulching alone will prevent most weeds from seeing sunlight and prevent germination. I will say though that it really depends on your ability to steer the customer and his/her level of expectation. Did they ask you too with certainty? Did you spec it in the bid? Sometimes a customer wants that bs on a small job and the quickest way to deal with it is to just do it.

4. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

We don't use fabric. Put down your dirt, pre-emergent, then mulch. Easier to get the weeds out down the road if you do get a few popping through instead of dealing with the stupid fabric.

5. yardworks  inc.

yardworks inc. LawnSite Member

We only use fabric if we our putting down a decorative rock. With mulch we do not, you or whoever does the maintenance will be glad you didn't.

6. highclimber604

highclimber604 LawnSite Member

Yah im not a big fan of the weed fabric. Seems to be hell in the long run if you need to remove the mulch or plant things.

7. Stevegotcrabgrass

Stevegotcrabgrass LawnSite Member

Say no to fabric.

8. mike174

mike174 LawnSite Member

Another vote for no fabric

9. froglawn

froglawn LawnSite Member

customer may not want to pay additional for fabric anyways...check first if you install

10. Crash

Crash LawnSite Member

Soil, pre-emergent, mulch.

Only use fabric with rock. With mulch, you'll be back top dressing every other year or so...you don't want to mess with that fabric under there.