New Bed Installations

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by FIREMAN Q, May 16, 2008.

1. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q LawnSite Senior Member

I was just curious how everyone goes about removing grass from the beds with out using/renting a sod cutter?

I know everyone here says no to weed fabric so i won't mention it again.

We have been using the rototiller and just shovels to clear them out but it just seems like there is a better way?

any help would be appreciated. :drinkup::drinkup:

2. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Try using a spade.

3. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Try a sod lifting tool. They can be hard to find, but they make life easier. You should be able to find one for $60.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Sod cutters are the best.

To make your way easier though, spray round-up on the grass in the bed area. Wait two weeks, then till. Makes a huge difference.

Fabric sucks, I know, but some people want it, you can't get around that. I will say that DuPont landscape fabric is the best only because of the tighter weave of the fabric, so weed roots can't grab onto it very easily.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Depending on the size using a mantis to shred the turf is a good prelude to tilling with a larger machine.
    We had a HO use roundup but to no avail. Still green after an 8 day wait. The mantis did the trick even so.

6. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Usually round up or a similar product to kill the area off, then come back and use a tiller such as the mantis before you lay down some new topsoil and then till it again to mix it up (at least thats what we do with lots of clay up here). I found that works really well when you are planting a lot of perennials and want to make sure they get a good chance to root properly. If you don't have the time to come back after 5-7 days to do the actual install, then bite the bullet and rent a sod cutter or even buy a used one depending on how much need it.

7. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the replies. Curious, whats the advantage to using the mantis vs using a 18'' rototiller?

8. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

mantis is compact, runs on the same two cycle gas that other handhelds run on, and does a surprising good job!. It doesn't go as deep as a full size tiller, but its much easier to maneuver, works fast, and does a great job

9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The mantis also 'shreds', rather than dig clumps.

10. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

Have you ever used a pony shovel. If not they are definitely worth the money. You will use it a lot.