1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New Beds

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Tony Harrell, May 7, 2002.

1. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I passed by a house that was built about a year and a half ago. They seeded the ground and got a decent lawn to come out last year. I noticed a couple of weeks ago they formed some large beds in the yard. Yesterday, I saw the lawn coming through it. So far, it's just a couple of very large mulched beds with some small saplings. How do you guys prepare the beds and/or keep this situation with the grass from happening?

2. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

I like to cut the sod 2", lay landscape fabric, add new soil, edge with a bed edger then mulch.

Others will trim the grass apply non-selective herbicides, and rototil or add new soil, edge and mulch.

3. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

I have a job to do. I was going to edge the bed, plant the shrubs put a heavy duty fabric and stone. May bring some dirt to plant the shurbs with.

What do you think?

4. prairie

prairie LawnSite Member
    from kansas

I really don't bother putting in new soil, unless it'ds ****. I just put down steel edging then sod cut enough to take most of the roots then til, plant and mulch your done. I found this to be very effective and time efficiant.