New Beginning's - ARPI photo tour

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ARP, Feb 15, 2009.

1. WillieWonka1850

WillieWonka1850 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah like that!

They have other setups that you can get installed right from the truck body dealer or manufacturer.

[​IMG]

2. curtisfarmer

curtisfarmer LawnSite Senior Member

I am not knowledgeable about 5th wheels at all but I thought I remember a friend telling me you can run a 5th wheel in a dump. They have a removable plate to expose the hitch. He had the same thing in a F350 6.0 pickup (side story)that was all pimped and modified/ reprogrammed out pulling a camper trailer weighing in at like 20K lbs. up to my house. The hill up to my house is about 3/4 mile pretty steep, and his truck pissed all the tranny fluid out!!:laugh::laugh::laugh: My truck 450 6.4 slightly lower load (all the time every day) and it is like it isn't there:usflag: Not saying 6.4 is better than 6.0 or anything else....it was pretty funny though:laugh::laugh:

3. scagtiger

scagtiger LawnSite Member
    from TN

My flatbed on my 450 has a cover just like that but i dont think it would work to well with a dumpbody but i could be wrong... why not just get a 450-550 dump with a heavy duty deckover trailer so your not givin up space in the bed

4. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton LawnSite Senior Member

Cannonball Engineering makes one. Well they make a bale bed that dumps, but it's close.

www.cannonballengineering.com

5. nedly05

nedly05 LawnSite Senior Member

A fifth wheel wouldnt work,(I guess it could) you would have to have the rails that the fifth wheel pins to mounted to the dump box floor, so it would get beat up by material. A fifth wheel set up is just like a mini version of a tractor trailer, where the gooseneck has a a ball type hook up that it works with. The set ups that Willie and I posted pics of work be most likely to work in a dump box, but I bet there must be someone out there that builds a job specific hitch for dump trucks.

6. ioilyouin

ioilyouin LawnSite Senior Member

Are we talking about a 5th wheel or a gooseneck. because the pics shown are for goosenecks. 5th wheels are for campers who think they're big sh!t.

Andrew, I was also thinking about your response idea. What about a few people going down as overseers, coordinating the work on the ground and making sure that the equipment is not abused. I'm sure that there are out of work operators in the region that would love the chance to get back to work and have a crack at some new iron. Maybe you could pay them some sort of wage as well, so that they could have money to inject back into the economy.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  7. Krafty

Krafty LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from St. Louis MO

The thing that scares me about putting one in a dump is the hole. I would hate to cut a hole that big in a $4k bed. Plus that is a pretty good sized hole for the bottom of a dump bed!

8. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Use the system I have, Binkley, reversible fifth wheel with pop up/down king pin rated for 30,000 pounds. I carry a few spray cans of brake cleaner just in case the king pin gets crud in it, and you get a threaded handle to pull up the pin.
    The king pin plate can me mounted flush with the box, or slightly raised like mine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Krafty

Krafty LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from St. Louis MO

That is pretty slick Ron I like that idea!! How would you mount it to the frame in a dump tho, or is that just for a flat deck?

10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Mine is bolted with over sized U clamps right through the deck to the frame to the truck frame, a dump box can be bolted right to the cross members, but you will need a locker to keep the box from pivoting on the deck, so something like a safety chain wrapped around the front of the box rails to the truck frame rails.