New Beginning's - ARPI photo tour

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ARP, Feb 15, 2009.

1. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Certainly looks like a nice grinder! You guys must have quite a bit of work lined up?

2. ARP

ARP LawnSite Bronze Member

We don't own the CBI grinder right now. I just have a good arrangement with the owner of the grinder where we work well together. Since we created our union division our work has increased and we are reshuffling our equipment to take advantage of the new types of projects available to us.

3. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Well I've read the whole thread from the start, and I have to say that I am very impressed, more like jealous. I wish I was much like you when I was your age. Your expansion has been astronomical and it is very crazy to see it in just just less than 5 years. I sometimes wonder where I should have taken my business and life for that matter, you have such nice equipment and everything else. Keep on working hard. You are truly an inspiration for both young and old. Keep up the good work

4. earthmover

earthmover LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Congrats man!!! Keep it up. :drinkup: I must say it's very impressive to see this thread from the beginning to now and to see how far you've come. Keep the updates coming.

5. Kepple Services

Kepple Services LawnSite Senior Member

Not a bad horizontal there... What HP is it?

6. ARP

Thanks guys- I definitely won't say it has been easy and we are still constantly reshaping ourselves to fit the current opportunities.

The CBI was either 1050 or 1100 hp. I fed it a steady diet of logs for 12 hrs straight the last time I used it. It would eat 48" logs like candies- the machine wouldn't even bog down. I tracked production and saw that I was consistently producing 300+ yds an hour of first grind material from the softwood logs.

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, very impressive. You have built a business during a time when most were going under. That's an incredible accomplishment and those of us who have weathered it can really appreciate how well you have managed your operation from birth to where you are now. Well done!

8. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

y grind those trees instead of taking them to a mill Andrew?

9. ARP

Our mulch comes from the grindings made from those trees. They were also considered junk logs so they had no value at a mill.

10. Kepple Services

Kepple Services LawnSite Senior Member

Not a bad production rate for logs... I had a C32(1125HP) powered 6600 for awhile, and with full trees on a land clearing job we got over 500 yards an hour, but averaged about 350-400 over the total job. With just wood in the yard I was getting around 200-250 yards an hour. In the heaviest grinding I saw fuel consumption rates of 65+ gallons an hour. We ended up purchasing a 4600XL machine that will be here this week. Was a repo unit out of SC. Little smaller mill, and power(C27, 870HP) but should do just fine until we replace our tub with another horizontal(within the year is the plan).

If you have a deal set up with someone for use of a grinder I would ride that out for as long as you can. The maintenance on these things is huge, and only goes up with HP and hours.