New Belt For 36" Toro WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Holloway Lawns, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I went to my local Toro people and took the old belt in wanting to get a new one. Well, after telling them a Toro 36" Proline WB with 13hp Command Pro they did not know what the part number was and guessed between two numbers and said they did not have any in stock. Plus they cost $49.95 each.

It is hard to beleive they did not know the part number seeing that they servie and sell them every day.

I went to a local auto parts store and they messurred the belt and I got one there for $16.

Do any of you see a problem with using this belt even though it's for a car?
  2. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I don't think a belt off a car will be as tough but for that price it wouldn't be a big deal to buy two. If you go to toro's website you can look up parts yourself using model and seriel numbers and then print it out and take it to your dealer. My dealer loves it because it takes the guess work out of filling orders. By the way find a new Toro dealer.
  3. Holloway Lawns

This dealer is the Toro people around here. There is one more that can do Toro but they messed me around on a tune up and carbrator job last summer on a back pack blower. All they did was change the pull rope and charged me $130 for it. Big story but I got &%#~!@*$ you know. I am going to get all my part numbers in order and just order from other places like Landscaper supplies and the such they are cheaper as well from what I can see. It was too cold today to put this new belt on so not sure how it will work yet. I am pretty sure it will work fine though.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I used to do it all the time on garden tractors before I moved here where we have a parts store for L&G equipment. Save some money and it usually is just about as good, if it isn't not enough to count for the price savings.
  5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've had problems with Toros too getting knowledgeable help at dealers. They also seem to be in disorder over their equipment lineup. One dealer says they sell something, another says they no longer do. They have some engines in some deck sizes, yet the same engine isn't available on a hydro with the same deck, etc. Luckily they haven't broken much, but I find they have many dealers who kind of dabble with it, and aren't dedicated. Their website seems to be a little out of date now, and today a dealer handed me a brochure for their mowers. I noticed that it was from 1999!

I also requested clarification on some mower combinations at their website, which assured "24 hour response". 4 days later, still nothing from them.
  6. Holloway Lawns

I try to learn as much as I can about lawns like pest, thatch, watering and the such so that I can help my customers more with their lawns.

I do not provide pest control service but I can help a customer make an educated decision on it. I just expect the same professional service from my Toro service provider. They can not seem to even get a part numer on a common replaceble part a belt.

I spent at least 30 minutesthere waiting for them to try and find the part number for the belt.

I have dug my owner manual and parts book out I have the part numbers now. So if I need anything else first I am going to try and get it somewhee else but if I have to I will take the the part and part number plus the parts book with a picture for them to get me a new part.

OK I am done with venting now. Thanks for your responses.:dizzy:

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Holloway Do a search using "dual drive belts" as your key words. I have a thread explaining how I use 2 belts on each side on my Toro. Plus there's a pic. Do yourself a favor and go with for your parts. I successfully fired Landscapers Supply 4 years ago. Good luck.
  8. Holloway Lawns

9. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

Lawn Specialties is right. Go to the Toro website and you can get the part number for anything. All you need is your model number and serial number. It breaks down every single part (nuts and bolts too!) in the part diagrams. You can zoom in to different parts to see exactly what you need. I did this just last week for I needed some parts for my Toro snowblower. I just gave the model numbers directly to my Toro dealer and he was able to get me the RIGHT parts the first time. Good luck.