New Bermuda sod/heavy rain = now bumpy

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by yarber, Feb 23, 2005.

1. yarber

yarber LawnSite Member

How is the best/easiest way for me to correct my bumpy sod? Had sod installed last friday, they used a sod cutter twice, raked flat and layed the sod. 2 nights ago rcvd very heavy rains and rain got under the sod and moved the soil around, now bumpy. Sand after the sod gets established?

I am in Woodstock Georgia
    Thanks for any replys/suggestions
    Robert

2. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Did whoever lay the sod "Roll it" after they laid it out? If not, you can rent a sod roller at any tool rental facility and do it yourself. This should help with the process, but personally I would contact you contractor and insist that they come back and do it!

3. B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc LawnSite Member

Rent a roller and go over the lawn. It should take care of the problem.

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Remove the sod, level the soil, thoroughly water the soil, use a sod roller on the soil, relevel and install the sod. Lightly top dress the soil immediately after laying it. After a few days fertilize the sod with Milorganite.

If the lawn is on a slope you start at the bottom of the slope and work up hill.

This will be easier than years of fighting an uneven lawn.

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you must not work with bermuda much.

a little top dressing and it will gorw in in a few months.

hybrid bermuda's have such agressive stolons/rhizomes that they will grow into the new raked in dirt in no time.

golf courses use this all the time. I see areas that they lay in sod, it is SUPER lumpy. I think to myself that a homeowner would shoot me if i left thier lawn like that.
    then as it roots in, they top dress, roll and mow, and it looks perfect.
    we do the same with repairs at out commercial bermuda propertis.
    we maintain them at fairway quality.

6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

We aren't talking about who knows what. We are talking about what is going to be the best way for this homeowner to solve his problem.

It's best for the homeowner to have a professional installation instead of having to spend the next several months working to get it right. The customer pays for a professional job and evidently that is what this customer got but a heavy rain before the sod rooted caused the problem.

We had Tif 419 in our yard for several years and I am aware of the golf course practices but homeowners don't usually have the available labor, material or equipment to do the job.