New Bermuda Sod North Georgia- Dead or alive

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jbla3478, Apr 24, 2008.

1. jbla3478

jbla3478 LawnSite Member

We got new sod laid on Tuesday and I watered in that night for 45 minutes per area which was about an inch. I then watered it again last night for the same amount of time. I am able to feel that the soil below is moist still. Please look at the pictures and let me know what you think. We can only water Tuesday, Thursday, and Sundays due to the massive drought we are undergoing.

Am I just paranoid and this is what the grass will do until it sets and roots in. A little bit about myself before you answer and that is that I am always paranoid about most things and think the worst. I know how to water grass because my fescue I planted this year in the back yard is coming up fine. So I would hope that I could grow seed which is much harder than sod in most peoples opinions.

When you touch new sod does it feel kind of strawy on top before it starts taking off also?

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

2. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

you laid that sod yourself didn't you, next time you do any sodding make sure to stagger the pieces so the edges don't line up, just some constructive
    criticism.

3. jbla3478

jbla3478 LawnSite Member

Actually no I did not do this myself and 90% of it is laid with staggering edges. The only reason some are not is due to the shape of particular areas. Do the pics look like I have a problem or am I just worrying for nothing.

4. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

tough to tell from picture and lighting.
    How long has it been down? Is it being watered daily?

Most bermuda up this way is green already. Of course, that's established bermuda lawns....

I've always noticed completely dried out/dead sod tends to curl up on the edges and starts breaking apart.

Oops, never mind.... I didn't read anything, just looked at the pics.... haha

Give it some time, keep it watered.

5. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Was it all green when it went in ? We start watering while we are laying, never bowns. If that was my job, I'd freak if I drove by and saw it. I know you have water restrictions but ya gotta keep some water on it.

6. mjlcare

mjlcare LawnSite Member

i didn't mean to be rude or anything but as a answer i would call the company that laid and tell them to get themselves out there, you didnt pay a good penny to have crap put down, no sod should look like that a day after it was laid especially if it was watered like you said

7. delanceyburnett

delanceyburnett LawnSite Member

how long did it stay on the pallet before being laid ? this can stress grass really bad and you may notice some fungal problems as the grass starts coming out. yes the grass will come out. most bermuda is extremely durable. it is better if you can water every day but i understand the restrictions . we deal with that in texas alot. i agree that you paid to have a brown yard. that is not the contractors fault . i do fault him for not qualifing the conditions that he was dealing with . i hope he explained the watering needs of the grass prior to installations. give the grass time and keep watering on your days . i have seen grass like this spring back and do just fine. keep us posted.

8. jbla3478

jbla3478 LawnSite Member

I water it everytime that I can. 45 minutes in each area with sprinklers spaced 35 feet apart since the radius of my heads are 40 feet. Also, I was asked how long it sat on the pallets and it was delivered straight from Americus on the same day it was delivered. I received it at 5am and it began being laid at 7am. The yard was bulldozed all rocks removed, smoothed out and then laid and watered. I did call the sod farm where it was delivered from and they said it is very possible since in Americus Georgia the weather is already warmer which is what Bermuda likes it could go back brown a little bit but it looks like it is going to be OK. <b>Does this sound right? </b> I do know since I have been down to south Georgia that most of their sod is already green and almost all the sod around my area is only about 35 to 40 percent green. My front yard always looks good in the summer and it is about 40 percent green right now. Does all of this sound about right?

Great news though I pulled back a corner on a couple of pieces of sod and you can see that the roots are starting to enter ground which makes a velcro like noise. Isn't this a good sign?

9. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Yea if it's pegged it's a good thing, was it all green when it was installed ?

10. jbla3478

jbla3478 LawnSite Member

No it was not all green about 50%