New Bermuda Sod turning brown after 3 days of being laid

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Twoods196, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Twoods196

Twoods196 LawnSite Member

just laid some Bermuda sod an 3 days later its turning brown! I ve been watering it twice a day for 15 mins. The section in the back looks better then the one on the side. The one in the back I checked the roots an the ground is completely saturated with water an even the ground under it looks muddy..possible too much water? The one on the left side of house which looks the worse is dry, Here is some pics:

Back Section
    [​IMG]

Side Section
    [​IMG]

Any thoughts help? Don't want all the money on sod to go down the drain

2. M&L

M&L LawnSite Member

What did your site prep include?

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Any idea how long it sat on the pallet? Were the pieces really dry when you put them down. Did you roll the area?

4. Twoods196

the area was rolled, ordered straight from a sod farm cut same day it was delivered. Installed half one day an other half next day.

To prep we disc the area up then use a tiller to till it up finer. Mixed in fertilizer with the soil an retiled. The leveled out the entire area.

5. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

I ve been watering it twice a day for 15 mins

Not watering enough. I've no experience with Bermuda but I'd say the prob is lack of water. Pull up a piece and see if there are any roots growing.

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Id turn that sprinkler on overnite, doesn't look too good

7. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I am going with the + for water. I would take a guess as strong as bermuda is that your 15 minutes of water is not nearly enough and that it is going dormant. More water will bring it back around.

8. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. A good inch of irrigation per watering events. You should also pound it with 21-0-0 ammonium sulfate. 1# per 1000 every 2 week's for 6 weeks and with proper irrigation it should look rictor.

9. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

One of the building supers I know for Pulte homes will run irrigation for hours of freshly laid sod at the beginning.

The good news is I have seen brown pieces of sod bounce back to life with the right conditions.

10. Twoods196

Well I ran the sprinklers for bout 4hrs maybe longer. Then it also rained good but today an I can already see some of it turning back green. Went ahead an fertilized today also. Hopefully it perks back up. Thanks for the help guys

Just FYI for anyone out there having problems determing how long to run to get a inch of water. I setup a few cups under sprinkler an times how long it took to get an inch of water. Wayyyyy longer then 15mins that I was at first recommended.