New Bermuda Sod

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cgaengineer, Oct 2, 2007.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I contacted Scotts and was told to apply Scotts Starter Fertilizer (20-27-5) to my newly installed bermuda lawn (Just installed last week). Is Scotts correct? I am in North Georgia so Bermuda is starting to go dormant in some areas.

2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Not completely correct.

If you cannot water, then don't fertilize at all. This is not a good time of year to install sod because late Nitrogen fertilization can increase your chances of cold damage. This is especially true since you have not established a root system yet. Also, you cannot apply preemergent to the new sod which means lots of weeds over the Winter.

If you have the ability to water, find a source in your area for a fertilizer containing both a high amount of P and K, and a low amount of N. An example would be 9-23-30. Scotts was partially right because starter fertilizer contains lots of P, however it normally also contains too much N. You won't find a fertilizer with the type of analysis I listed in retail stores. It would help if you could spray a biostimulant such as Lesco's Turfmax to speed up root development as much as possible while the soil temps are still warm enough.

Your biggest concern with the sod will be dessication due to lack of water. Even IF you are watering for 30 days, windy conditions in the late Fall and early Winter will dry out your root system quickly.

3. cgaengineer

Turf:

I am able to water so I put a light application of stater fertilizer down (I have roughly 7500 sq ft so I put a 5000 sq ft bag out). I am not sure if you saw my other thread about my portable water tank.

4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Turf and Engineer: I do not know much about Bermuda--other than getting rid of it. However, on the weeds, engineer's sod is a couple of weeks down. So, what about using a little Atrazine (Granular) around 1st of December. I'm thinking of winter weeds and a little pre-emergent protection untill he can get to February for some Dimension and fertilize?
    Roy

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Not advised to apply Atrazine to sod that has not developed a good root system. Same with Simazine and other DNA herbicides.

6. RAlmaroad

from SC

That Georgia clay must be some kind of hard. I would have thought that two (2) months or more that Bermuda would have put down plenty of roots. I put down 8K of centipede in sandy soil about 3 weeks ago and it is in. We mowed it this past weekend and almost needs it again. But, you know your Georgia clay.
    Roy

7. cgaengineer

Actually my sod has already started to root (Which is good), but I want to give it the best push I can give it before it gets cold.

8. RAlmaroad

from SC

Engineer: I actually know where Winder is. My son was living in Covington while he was in school in Atlanta. I used to go throught Winder on the way to Covington. What a small world. Winder is a nice small place with some terrific old homes and surrounding areas.
    In order to help curtail those weeds if you can't put any herbicides on them, you will probably start to mow before long; I'd use a bagger on it to pick up some of those weed seeds. Probably won't help much, but you'll be better off than if you didn't. Do you plan on a treatment in February?

9. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Then go with a high K blend.

Use prudent judgement on the amount of N. Why not spoon feed a soluble N source for a short term, also? Watch your weather forecasts!

10. cgaengineer

It is indeed a small world...Winder has grown quite large since I moved here in 1980!

I dont have a problem with weeds right now as they had all died before I tilled them under with the harley rake. My yard was entirely crabgrass, and to look at it you would have thought it was a lawn! It was thick and I had to mow sometimes 2 times per week. The crab started dying about a month ago due to lack of rain and recent cooler temps. I will hit it with a Pre E in early Feb or March and hope for the best, since its bermuda if I maintain like I do my front yard, I wont have many problems with weeds (100% weed free, though badly heat stressed) it was the greenest, purttiest lawn on the block until about 1 month ago.