New Bermuda Sod???

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Eagle3Fan, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Eagle3Fan

Eagle3Fan LawnSite Member

I just bought a new house and the yard has been sodded with Bermuda. Are there steps I should take over the winter keep it healthy and get a jump start on spring?

The yard is pretty big, they used 43 pallets of sod, and I don't want to waste money now on something that won't be of benefit so your help is appreciated.

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

sorry no one has responded earlier.

no no special precuations.

water every few weeks to keep the rhizomes hydrated.

in the spring let it green up for three weeks at least before you mow.
    we work with alot of fairway quality bermuda, so yoou can pm or email me if you have any more questions
  3. B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc LawnSite Member

You could add some fertilizer with winterizer or even weed n feed won't hurt. The roots never really go completely dormant in winter so the nutrients won't hurt. Add the weed n feed agian in early spring and water then watch r go. I just finished several of these applications on sod myself.
  4. Eagle3Fan

Eagle3Fan LawnSite Member

Thanks for you advice. Have a great New Year!

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

There are some issues with installing dormant bermuda sod. Since it does not establish roots during the growing season, you are limited in your ability to treat/prevent weeds during the first year.

You should avoid any type of weed & feed product on new sod. The roots are tender and not prepared to deal with a herbicide. Doing so will put your new sod at risk. Why? Because most of these products actually will prune roots. Without a good root system, the sod cannot handle that.

Normally, the bermuda would get a pre-emgergent application in early Spring to prevent crabgrass. There is only one product safe for new sod (Ronstar) but it is not labeled for residential use. So you are out of luck there.

In the absence of a soil test, apply a full analysis 19-19-19 fertilizer once greenup is underway in the April. Hit it with high Nitrogen product such as 32-5-7 in June. You should wait until Summer to deal with any weeds that surface. Since it is new sod, you may find weeds to be minimal this year. You might see Poa Annua in the early Spring, but it will die out when the heat arrives. Should you have a problem with crabgrass, spot treat with MSMA in June or July.
  6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

good advise.

DO NOT APPLY WEED AND FEED until after established. it clearly stated that on the label.