new bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1stclasslawns, Mar 8, 2000.

1. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Im bidding on a new apartment complex, and dont want to be too far off on my bid. <br>It sits on 6 acres has 1400 lienel feet of 30 deg banks 60 feet wide, 1200 feet of weed eating, 3500 feet of edging, and 40 trees.<br>It has 8 - 4 plex units, 2 - 2 plex units, and a office. <br>I am figuring in the $400.00 range. <br>I dont have a problem bidding residentials but this is the first apartments I have bid without talking to the last contractor, I dont want to shoot my self in the foot. Workers comp. and liability are required. Thanks for your help in advance. Jim

2. Nilsson Associates

Nilsson Associates LawnSite Member

I don't have time to figure it out right now but based on your numbers ... I think $400.00 is a giveaway price, way too low.

3. What is your biggest mower and how much (sq ft) of actual turf can be mowed at that site with that machine?<p>How may sq. ft. of trim (21) mowing is needed?

4. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

As I figure it only about an acre can be mowed with my 42&quot; the banks are steep enough that the rider wont hold on the hillside. So a lot of trim mowing will be required. Some is so steep a 21&quot; isnt safe so it will have to be weed eated. I am wondering about a pull behind for the 4-wheeler? Thanks, Jim

5. John Deere

John Deere LawnSite Member

Just from your description of the banks and all of the trimming plus the sg. footage it sounds like your a little low. However, if you can work in a 3 year contract and increase it every year then you might be doing OK. Good Luck!

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

naturalawn, you don't mention how often you have to cut.

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

For the steep areas use screw nails in the tires of the walk behind or if they are air filled try tractor tread tires and wear golf shoes with spikes for you. This way you will be able to use a 36&quot; or 42&quot; deck. You might even be able to rig up some snap on dual tractor tread tires.

8. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Just a quickie FYI, not having seen the lot with the following assumptions:<p>1 acre w/42&quot;, 5 acres with 21&quot;, edge 3500 lf of edging, and trim property.<p>$593/mowing, $70/edge job and $112/job to trim<p>Like I said, this is just a guesstimate.<p>Good luck

9. Nilsson Associates

Nilsson Associates LawnSite Member

I had a similar situation with steep banks along a stream. Used a 36&quot; walkbehind, tied a rope to it, one man guided it along the bank mowing, while a second man held the rope at the top of the bank to prevent the mower from slipping down the bank, second man walked along at same pace as the mowing machine, it worked okay but then there wasn't anything in the way ... like trees or other plantings.<p>Phil Nilsson

10. naturalawn wrote:<p>&gt;Some is so steep a 21&quot; isnt safe so it will have to be weed eated. <p>I would not even bid on a safety hazard like this job. If you could spray a growth regulator and mow it with a hover mower every<br>month it might be worth a look. <p>