new biz in FL

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dan1a1984, Feb 17, 2009.

1. dan1a1984

dan1a1984 LawnSite Member

Please help. I am trying to start a lawn bizz in central FL. And I need some help with going completely legal. I know that I need insurance and license.

Whom do I need to be licensed with the state, county, and city?? What’s need to do this??

How do I set up sole proprietor?

In the forum it says repeatly “Check your local laws”, where exactly do you do this??

Thanks for your help.

2. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

3. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

You need to get your City and County lic.. I you use a name other than your own you need to register a fictious name with the state. Get your insurance from whom ever you want.

4. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

5. dan1a1984

thanks, you guys are awsome...

6. I.M. Green

I.M. Green LawnSite Member

where in central Fl?

7. dan1a1984

Pasco County, its about 45min north of Tampa. I would like to serivce Pasco and Hernando Counties.

8. dan1a1984

What are the benfits of creating the business under a fictious name?? Why would'nt you use your on name??

9. Ruben Rocha

Ruben Rocha LawnSite Senior Member

The law is a little tricky here is florida but.
    Usually is you operate a business using a name other than your legal name your are required to file that name with the division of corporations in florida.
    Regardless if it is a dba,sole proprietor, or any flavor of corp like a llc.
    So if your name is John e. Doe and your business is named John E. Doe as a sole proprietor you should not need to register your name.
    But if your business name is John E. Doe lawns. Then you do that is not a legal name.
    BTW when you do register a name with the state is is best to go ahead and pay the extra money for a certified copy. It helps when opening a bank account etc.

As far as a license goes just go to your local county tax collector(where you pay for tags,property tax) and apply for a occupational license for lawn maint.
    Usually they only require money no insurance etc.
    If you are going to spray roundup in flower beds, Another story you will need a special license and Liability insurance for that. You can start with the county extension service to get you started or http://prohort.ifas.ufl.edu/pesticide_licenses/index.shtml

Now I am not saying you don't need insurance. Just that it normally is not required here in florida for normal mowing service.

10. LawnSharkMowing

LawnSharkMowing LawnSite Member

to kinda get around paying the $50 for a fictious name you can register your business with the county under DBA(Doing Business As) ex. John Smith DBA Lawn Mowing R Us....u get the point!