1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new "blade length" therory?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by metro-hp_48, Apr 20, 2004.

1. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Thought I had heard it all, and would like to see how many here, would agree with this (MTR's) therory;

"yes sir, it goes like this...a 36" cut nicer than a 32" and a 52" cut even nicer than a 48". The width and length of blade provide a smoother cut, and of course the stripe, can you beat a stripe of a 52" Z or a 52" hydro WB? never."

Any thoughts on this from anyone else?
  2. metro-hp_48

from TN

I myself say it would depend more on deck design, blade type, tip speed, speed of mowing, type of grass, ect. I may be all wrong, but that's just my theory. Width and length? hmmmm.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Does this mean that one of those single bladed 30" homeowner riders would provide a better looking cut than every other mower available. I don't think so.
  4. metro-hp_48

from TN

That's the way I took his theory, Richard. Makes no sense to me, either. Maybe he can explain in more detail.
    That I have to hear.
  5. The biggest difference I've seen is the longer the blade, the more difficult they are to keep in alignment.

6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I think there are so many factures that contribute to a good cut that its difficult to accurately pinpoint the main cause.
  7. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think its the length of the blade. Its the length of the deck. You could have a 61 inch deck with 5 small blades in there, and would still give a great cut.

Also the larger mower with large tires makes a difference too. Large tires ignore irregularities in the lawn. Wide decks smooth out irregularities in the lawn. Big mowers leave less wheal marks. All these things tend to make a smoother looking cut, I think.
  8. metro-hp_48

from TN

Sounds logical to me LawnMower.
  9. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

There is some truth to the blade length longer is better theory. Example given a 10 inch blade with a blade tip speed of 20,000 rpm 1 inch in from the tip the speed of the blade is 20% sloweror 16,00feet per minute 4 inches in the speed is 80% slower or 4,000 feet per minute.The distance from blade center to tip is 5 inches. Now take a blade20 inches in length. 10 inches fromcenter to tip. The blade speed is 10% less per inch from tip. 1inch from tip blade speed is 19,000 4 inches from tip blade speed 12,000 vs. 4000 for the 10 inch blade. It is a factor in the cutting performance of the blade because not all cutting is done at the tip.If it were blades wouldn't be sharpenend 4or 5 inches. just the last 1/2 inch would. In general longer blades cut better but if you took your 48 inch walk behind and it had two 25inch blades instead three 17 s thedistance between front and back wheels would have to be increased by about 8 inches. Moreso on a 61 inch cut . this would mean more scalping and less manuverability . There are many trade ofs in deck design. If shorter were better given the competition in the industry some manufacturer woul be putting 4,5 or six blades on there decks.
  10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member