1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New blades and Scag Tiger Cub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lasko's Lawn Service, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Lasko's Lawn Service

Lasko's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I have a tiger cub that I want to get new blades for.....The gator blades seem to be popular....any advice with where to get your favorite brand and prices would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

You should try the MEG MO blades. They stay sharp 8 to 10 times longer then what OEM blades do. Cut the grass up 4 or 5 times more then even gator blades. Blow the grass out from deck so no lumps on turf any more. out wear OEM blades by 3 or 4 times so money wise the MEG MO blades are less expenses than OEM blades.
  3. Runzwiscizzers

Runzwiscizzers LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I bought a Tiger Cub two summers ago and have experienced the following:

The OEM blades cut fine, good quality cut.

Come fall 2006, I bought Gator Blades for leaf mulching (20 large trees in my 1.5 acre lawn) They did a great job mulching the leaves, had to hit a few areas a couple of times where the leaves were deep, and then blow them out to even the chopped leaves over the lawn.

Last spring I bought the Mega-Mos. Cut late spring/early summer with them, they didn't have the lift to cut the tops of clover, plus had some rooster tailing. Took them off, finished the summer with the Gators, no complaints.

Put the Mega Mos back on for the fall leave mulching. They did a better job for the leaves than the Gators.

So, my experience was Gators in the spring/summer, Mega Mos in the fall.

I also started mowing with the chute guard off. That helped with the windrowing, and evened the cut out. But have to be careful with throwing things. (my 2cents)
  4. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I run the Scag blades that come on my Tiger. With the baffle in the middle position. I guess they are your standard lift blades. They always cut great and are easily replaced if I run over something. I also have tried the Scag eliminator blades which work exceptionally well for leaves in the fall.
  5. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

I run Meg-Mow blades all the time on all my Scag mowers.
  6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I run gators in the fall and super high lifts in the srping/summer. I get excellent cut and the stripes look very good too. The amount of vacuum that the high lifts and the vac system creates is more than some Walkers I have used!!