new blades how sharp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdh, Feb 7, 2001.

1. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

when i buy new blades, do i need to sharpen theme be fore use , they are not as sharp as the old blades the dealers sharpen ,they are dull should they be so sharp that you could cut like a kitchen knife.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

They need to be sharpened and balanced before putting them on to use. A new blade isn't very sharp mainly so the blade company doesn't get sued, is my guess. Most new blades are not balanced either.

3. rdh

thanks a lot Eric elm
    i had never used a blade sharper than new ones,
    the dbl blades that i put on was straight from dealer(Dull)
    and i thought they woked great ,cant wait to try sharp ones.
    i all ways thought they were sharp enough and balanced since they were new
    im learning thanks lawn site also.

4. rdh

the dealer charges more to sharpen blades than for new ones
    so i would just buy new ones ,and use them the way i bought them .THANKS again Eric Elm.

5. Eric ELM

So buy a right angle hand grinder and sharpen them yourself. I have never hired anyone to sharpen a blade for me. You can even use a metal file to do this, but it takes longer to do the sharpening. If you are going to mow for a living, you need sharp blades everyday to do a good job. It's time to get the right tools to do the job. Read all of the other blade threads to get a better understanding of what I'm talking about.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If they're new, I usually just touch them up with a file. It's mostly all the paint on them that causes the roundness on the blade edge.

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric is giving you good advise. Like he has said before just because a blade is new does NOT mean it is sharp or in balance. Now, the first thing I do with a new blade is put a sharp edge on it and check for balance. That makes sense, that the reason they don't send them out sharp, is for liability reasons. (Probally spelled that wrong.)

8. lawnguy ny

lawnguy ny LawnSite Member

sharping them is great. how do you balance them?

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I differ with most on this.Cut first.You
    will see that it holds an edge an last longer.
    When I sharpen i try to get as close as original
    edge as i can.I think they cut well and stand more
    punishment.Most may disagree but thats what makes it
    interesting.

10. Eric ELM

AWM:
    I don't understand your post at all. Are you saying that cutting with a dull blade covered with paint will make them last longer? What about some that are so out of balance that they are not safe to rev up to today's RPM's? You don't think they need to be balanced?

Lawnguy NY:
    You put a blade on a balancer that you can buy or make and the heavy end will drop down. You then take more metal off of that end until it is balanced. There is discussion on this in the blades and sharpening posts of the past. I even have a picture of the balancer I made with bearings. I hope this helps.