1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New blades - Out of Balance

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by whitleys, Oct 14, 2001.

1. whitleys

whitleys LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Just pulled a set of six gator blades out of the box for my 48" snapper. In inspecting them, I noticed the cutting edge on one was a bit blunt. :confused:

I walk over and put it on the balance and sure enough, one side drops to the benchtop! I check the other five, whose cutting edges all look fine. Two of the six blades were out of balance!

Have you all experienced this before? I have never before checked a new blade for balance.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It happens. I always sharpen them since they are dull and I always balance them, since they are usually out of balance.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Agree, nothing unusual about that.
  4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Against my better judgement and what I have recently posted I am not talking about the flex-deck, but i did go thru the ANSI test with it and one of the parts was the unbalance test. My deck requires a 20 1/2 inch blade which is a gator. they weigh the blade and determine how much to cut off one end. In this case it meant cutting off 2" from one end and then we had to run the deck at full rpm's for 1 hour. First of all you cannot believe the noise level, and secondly you cannot believe how much it shakes the tractor or whatever mower design you may have it on. After that test, and seeing that everything still worked, I still balance blades, but only after every so many sharpenings. I try to count the passes I make on each side and keep them as even as possible. and as a result, I don't seem to have many problems in that area.